Web Viewing, How to get images to appear the same?

This is a discussion on Web Viewing, How to get images to appear the same? within the Photo Editing & Image Management forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; I'm a new photographer specializing in children. I have recently created a website and am so annoyed at how different my pictures/website appear on different ...

I'm a new photographer specializing in children. I have recently created a website and am so annoyed at how different my pictures/website appear on different computers/monitors/web browsers. Even the layout appears different. The background doesn\'t line up like it does on my Mac so I have to opt to a plain background. It\'s very frustrating. I edit all my pictures on my Mac at home in Photoshop and they appear perfect to me. However when I view them at work or on our other computers/monitors at home they appear very different. On some monitors, I wouldn\'t want my clients viewing them because the pictures appear so different (dark, color drained, and not near as sharp). I\'ve been experimenting with different settings when saving the images, different color profiles. Tried just about everything and can\'t figure it out. I look at some other photographers websites on different computers/monitors and their images look great on different computers/monitors. I know part of the problem is the resolution of the monitors but why does it seem some photographer\'s websites/pictures appear to not have this problem?

I bought a template on BluDomain for my website. Don\'t know if that could be part of the problem too. Here is my website... sarahrogersphotography.com This is not the final website. I\'ve been playing around w/ the colors trying to get this problem figured out. If you go to my portfolio, you will see I created a \"brighter\" album. For these I simply just brightened the photos a lot to try to help with my problem. It helps some but the images still appear not sharp and desaturaged. You will also see what I mean w/ the layout of the website. Some browsers/monitors require scrolling. My Mac does not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks!
    Sarah

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Unless in one magical moment, everyone will jump from cheap monitors onto factory-calibrated IPS LCDs, your images WILL always look different on different monitors. To make them "relatively" same, make sure you export them with sRGB color profile, since that what most browsers use to "render" web-pages.

Equipment
    Canon, Cambro/Calumet
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Welcome to the wonderful world of web design. As algalkin has already pointed out, use sRGB profile and re-size to somewhere around 70 ppi, I use 74 ppi and sharpen. Even if you photo is tack sharp when you start this process, you'll find that you really must 'oversharpen' for the Internet. As far as the display size on different monitors, it helps to use a JavaScript script to determine the size of the client's browser and size the photos on-the-fly. Luminesence is basically anyones guess. I tend to do one of two things. I don't show images that require calibrated monitors or I include a gray scale and warning similar to the one shown on this site.
    Capture all the photons you want; the universe will make more.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Sarah,

There are possibly dozens of different things that can cause all sorts of problems. >I'm sorry if you're having problems but it's not very easy to guess what's causing the problems from a few lines of description.

Don't take offense but good web design is not an easy thing to do. Web designers have to make certain that the commercial pages they design will work in all of the most popular web browsers. A web site selling web templates only has to sell the template. O layout problems are are almost certainly the fault of the template and it's failure to work properly in all environments. If you have the money it's better to go with a hosting company specializing in photography websites. You might look into smugmug, PhotoShelter, PBase, or other services that cater to photographers.

As noted above, export all images to be used on the web as sRGB. I don't want to get into an argument but the ppi is irrelevant and is really only used when you print an image. Web wisdom is to save as 72 dpi but it has no real effect if you know how to change it back. The important thing is the size. For most web galleries I limit the size to 1024 pixels maximum on the longest side. For panoramas I might go to 1600 pixels.

Many of the problems you're experiencing are the result of using an uncalibrated monitor to do work or viewing work on an unclabrated monitor. You can do a rough guess to see if you're monitor has the the correct illumination by viewing the gray scale bar that MOD had provided at the top of all (?) picture forums. You should be able to see all the blocks as distinct blocks. If you can't then you're monitor isn't properly calibrated. If you set the lightness of an image based on a poorly calibrated monitor others are likely to see it as too dark or too light. Only others with a similarly calibrated monitor will see the image the way you do.

As critical as the luminosity of the image is the color. Again, you have to have a color calibrated monitor to be reasonably sure that the adjustments you're making are the adjustments that really need to be made. If you're stuff looks great to you on your equipment but generally bad on other equipment there's a good chance you have a calibration problem.

If you think calibration is the problem there are a number of product that help you calibrate your monitor such as Spyder 3 or Huey.

Charles
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Sarah,

I visited your website and I could give one of my notorious websites reviews but today I'm feeling generous. Kidding aside, It's better than most, your images do seem natural and crisp, and as you claim, I do think you have a natural talent for this type of photography.

I see nothing wrong with your images. They seem to me to have the right luminosity (if that really is the right word). I also don't see any obvious color cast. In short, as mentioned above by the others, you can't make it right on every one's system because there are a lot of people out there running crappy systems.

Getting a calibration kit for your system will provide you some peace of mind but won't change how your photos look all that much in that it looks to me like your system is in relatively good shape. Either that or, my calibrated system is poorly calibrated.

Charles
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links