What did you do with Photoshop?

This is a discussion on What did you do with Photoshop? within the Photo Editing & Image Management forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; To be honest, even though always being busy with software, learning about these kind of programs gives me a headache. So actually I still don't ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    To be honest, even though always being busy with software, learning about these kind of programs gives me a headache.
    So actually I still don't know thát much about Photoshop...

But if I need(ed) to know something, I would just either use the Help-pages or try and find explanatory on the internet.
    Occasionally ask someone that might know something about it.
    But rarely and only if I really can't figure something out.
    - Damage Inc. / MicHaeL
    PS: Excuse my sometimes long signatures, I just try to be specific and detailed.

EquipmentDigital: Previously Canon PowerShot A520 (2004 / 4MP) - Currently Canon PowerShot SX100 IS (2007 / 8MP)Film: Might be trying an old Olympus Trip 35 (still...)Printer: Canon PIXMA iP5000 DeskInkJet - HP A826 PhotoprinterScanner: Epson Perfection 3590 PHOTOAccessories: SanDisk Extreme III SDHC [4GB] / Canon PSC-100 / Canon NB4-300

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I started working with PS when it first came out on the mac in the early 90's. Our mostly 35mm photo class had one digital camera, a flatbed scanner, and 4 computers with photoshop-- it didn't even have color imaging then!

I learned some of the basics then. A few years later I found myself using Jasc software.

My husband is going to school now to do video game design and he showed me the ropes again. I did a bunch of tutorials and then there's the youtube series "You suck at photoshop" that is amusing and informative.

I really enjoy watching the videos because I dont usually understand when I read the instructions, I actually have to see it done.

I wouldnt say Im a master, but I have a pretty good handle on it, and it really didnt take too long to learn what is needed for photoshop.

I use CS3 and my husband initially told me that Adobe Bridge *bundled with CS3* is not useful. Well, he's not a photo editor, he paints with CS3. Since talking with another photographer about certain things, she highly recommended using Bridge in conjunction with PS. I LOVE Bridge-- there are a TON of useful things in it -- especially the black fader, recovery, and lens vignette-- the vignette slider takes a LOT of work out of your pictures if you like to use that sort of thing.

I recommend just keep using it to get the most familiarity.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I have purchased books and used CS2 and now CS3. There are some helpful things to learn from books but a lot of it I learned also by either watching videos or just simply experimenting with it after asking myself "how'd they do that?". I am no expert by any means but I will probably take a class next semmester in Photoshop. I just also starting messing around with Lightroom.
    MIKE

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I just also starting messing around with Lightroom.
    Now I really don't understand that program at all.
    The reason I got it is that you're supposed to be able to edit whole batches and thing like that?
    And more things, but I can't find much to do in there at all, it's just silly.
    I think for most people programs like Photoshop Elements (6) and ACDSee would do.
    Maybe CS3 for some extra things though, but it's a lot more expensive, about 4½ times to be more exact.

And I see Photoshop Elements 7 is coming out soon, I wonder what they have changed...
    I don't hope for another overhaul like they did last time, or I'll have to get to know it AGAIN.
    - Damage Inc. / MicHaeL
    PS: Excuse my sometimes long signatures, I just try to be specific and detailed.

EquipmentDigital: Previously Canon PowerShot A520 (2004 / 4MP) - Currently Canon PowerShot SX100 IS (2007 / 8MP)Film: Might be trying an old Olympus Trip 35 (still...)Printer: Canon PIXMA iP5000 DeskInkJet - HP A826 PhotoprinterScanner: Epson Perfection 3590 PHOTOAccessories: SanDisk Extreme III SDHC [4GB] / Canon PSC-100 / Canon NB4-300

Just you, me and a few Friends Hangin out, doin what we enjoy
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I only know how to use PSE6 myself also. I took 2 countinuing ed courses in it last winter and that really got me started with it. I understand that CS3 is awesome but a bit more money, maybe some day. while we are on the subject, does anyone know what are the uses for a degree in "Graphic Design"? And are there jobs out there to fill in that area?
    Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Canon Rebel XTi
    Canon 50mm f/1.8.....Sigma 28-90mm f/2.8.....Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6.....Sigma 80-200 f/2.8.....Canon 28-135mmf/3-4.5

Recording History.......

My Profesional Page.....
    http://www.hodgesphotography.biz

[color="#000000"]Visit me on Face Book......

[url="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-Hodges-Photography-and-Design/200526194513?success=1&v=wall"]

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I learned mostly but just toying around. I would open two instances of a photo, one that is the original, and one that I will mess with. I can look back to the original to see exactly what I have done. Just toy around, play with the sliders, and remember this one thing: Things do more than what they are called. For instance, you can take an inner shadow layerstyle, turn its mode to Normal and take the color to a lighter color and it makes a nice looking bevel & emboss.

There are tons more, but one place I look to advance my skills is at http://pixel2life.com and I watch the true photoshop god, Burt Monroy: http://revision3.com/pixelperfect/

I sent a piece in to Burt once and he sent me an email back asking if he could use the idea for a show. Mine was for episode 32!
    Nikon D90, 18-105mm AF-S VR, 50mm 1.8D, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 macro

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I just also starting messing around with Lightroom.
    Now I really don't understand that program at all.
    [/quote]
    I initially felt the same way about LightRoom and still have some issues with it, but it is an incredibly powerful program. Most of its images ajustment tools are more intuitive than PhotoShop and the tool to remove Chromatic Aberration (CA) is easier to use and does a better job than the filter in PhotoShop. Plus LightRoom is a full asset management system. And the batch tools are there, you just have to spend time learning the software. Nothing in, nothing out.

For heavy editing, I still use PhotoShop. But for image management, image selection, and most simple adjustments, I use LightRoom.

Try the 30 day trial of LightRoom. It may be all you need and it's a lot less complex and cheaper.

Charles
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Try the 30 day trial of LightRoom. It may be all you need and it's a lot less complex and cheaper.
    Hm, maybe they simplified it too much, because I have trouble finding anything useful in it.
    And I mean, in a way of... as if they hid all the button and functions/features or something.
    I know I just don't know how it works, but it's hard to find out too. XD
    I'm quite technically oriented, I've also been at it more than a decade,
    but I guess I'm just not good with these programs.
    Even though I do find out more and more in Photoshop by just clicking around and (trying to) read the help-files.
    But even then it's hard to just get things to work for you.
    - Damage Inc. / MicHaeL

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    No formal training mainly self taught, use books and some videos that come free with photo mags, lets us know how the course goes.
    Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words "I have a cunning plan" marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?

Edmund Blackadder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links