first ever pics take a look

This is a discussion on first ever pics take a look within the People Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; hi i am just starting ou and these are the first pics i have took could you please have a look and give me some ...

Equipment
    nikon d3000
    PHOTO EDITING OK

first ever pics take a look

hi i am just starting ou and these are the first pics i have took could you please have a look and give me some advice to help improve thanks i have a nikon d3000 camerahttp://www.flickr.com/photos/81774522@N02/

Last edited by juls79; 07-04-2012 at 02:08 AM.

Equipment
    nikon d3000
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Name:  7492656130_412b87c416_m.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  21.9 KB hi could you please let me know what you think
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Welcome to Photo Forum.

The first shot has a good exposure, but it's not level (you were tilting the camera just slightly to the left.) Straightening the image is easily in done with most software.

I'd think about the background in this image -- there's a lot of background visible which doesn't contribute to the overall image. Your subjects are really taller than they are wide, so turning the camera sideways to shoot this vertically might have offered better framing. There's a trick to getting your subjects tack sharp and yet having a blurred background, but it's easier to do with a lens that has a much lower focal ratio (e.g. like a 50mm f/1.8 lens). The kit lens has a variable focal ratio which, at 50mm, will only let you have f/5.6. You can get some of the effect at f/5.6 by having a particularly close foreground subject and a distant background -- but it'll be a weak effect.

The other two shots are underexposed a bit. Were you shooting in automatic or manual?
    Tim Campbell

Equipment
    nikon d3000
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by TCampbell View Post
    Welcome to Photo Forum.

The first shot has a good exposure, but it's not level (you were tilting the camera just slightly to the left.) Straightening the image is easily in done with most software.

I'd think about the background in this image -- there's a lot of background visible which doesn't contribute to the overall image. Your subjects are really taller than they are wide, so turning the camera sideways to shoot this vertically might have offered better framing. There's a trick to getting your subjects tack sharp and yet having a blurred background, but it's easier to do with a lens that has a much lower focal ratio (e.g. like a 50mm f/1.8 lens). The kit lens has a variable focal ratio which, at 50mm, will only let you have f/5.6. You can get some of the effect at f/5.6 by having a particularly close foreground subject and a distant background -- but it'll be a weak effect.

The other two shots are underexposed a bit. Were you shooting in automatic or manual?
    hi i was shooting in automatic as it was my first time at taking pics
    thank you very much for the comments and tips i will do the things you just said

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I think the fence is sloping.The gaps between the boards appear to be somewhat upright. Those to the left of the picture are leaning slightly to the left, while those to the right are leaning right. It's that top that appears to make it look as though your camera wasn't level. The subject appears to be upright.

And I agree with Tim that the camera should have been held vertically. The man is chopped off at the knees and there's too much fence.

One of the things we have to deal with is, what the eye sees and what the camera sees are often two different things. This is what composition is about. Practice looking at scenes through your viewfinder. Is there a pole sticking out of the top of somebody's head? Is there a garbage can near your subject? Am I cutting off somebody's head? We've all done them!

Equipment
    nikon d3000
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    thank you very much yes i can see what you are talking about i will look a lot more in future at the background and i will hold the camera the other way also i am going to read up about composition and exposures thank you for your comments i really take it on board

Equipment
    nikon d3000
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Name:  camera pics 017.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  77.4 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  87.8 KBName:  7522169740_2c6a548e55_m.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  23.3 KBName:  7518987306_9395a6781c_m.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  15.3 KBName:  7518983070_f9b5725827_m.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  14.5 KB

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The shot of the baby - bottom right - is great! Do you have a photo-editing program? They seem a little dark to me. Notice, too, the photo of the baby where a part of his arm is chopped off.

Equipment
    nikon d3000
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by John B. View Post
    The shot of the baby - bottom right - is great! Do you have a photo-editing program? They seem a little dark to me. Notice, too, the photo of the baby where a part of his arm is chopped off.
    hi yes i do i have capture nx2 but still trying to work out how to use it .
    yes i can see what you mean about the babys arm

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links