Basics of Portraiture

This is a discussion on Basics of Portraiture within the People Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Capture the moment not the time......

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Basics of Portraiture

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Capture the moment not the time...
    Fred Berg and MountainRider like this.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-cheryl View Post
    I dont shoot a lot of portraits,Attachment 31547 but I think I have to disagree on a couple of you basics...
    7. Make sure that the face is well-lit without shadows around the eyes: no raccoon eyes.
    10. Avoid using flash, unless you are beyond creating the flat, cold, over-exposed, slightly washed-out look...
    Here is a self portrait shoot with shadows and a flash..I don't think it is flat, cold, over-exposed or washed-out...
    "UNLESS YOU ARE BEYOND" seems to be constantly missed in number 10. Nevertheless, there is a shadow that cuts the edge of the left eye. Through your placement and lighting you have also separated the hand and the eyes in this mood shot and made the hand more visually important since it is at the front and therefore what the viewer sees first. There is also a flash reflection on the end of the nose that can be quickly eliminated in post.

I still think the effectiveness of this mood shot could be improved by a little more lighting.

Cameron

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzaone View Post
    Capture the moment not the time...
    Is this what you meant, when you said that sometimes your subject may be having a bad day?

Cameron

PHOTO EDITING OK
    [QUOTE=Dazzaone;475085]Capture the moment not the time... [/QUOTE

OK, Fred, talk to us! Explain photographically why you like this shot as you have indicated. I would be interested in hearing from you, what this shot has going for it.

Cameron

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzaone View Post
    He's a 3 month old? As you said you have to know how to use flash Great work Tim!
    Different types of shots. Any time, you want to post a more formal/casual portrait like mine, then we can do a more honest comparison?

Cameron

Equipment
    Nikon
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    "UNLESS YOU ARE BEYOND" seems to be constantly missed in number 10. Nevertheless, there is a shadow that cuts the edge of the left eye. Through your placement and lighting you have also separated the hand and the eyes in this mood shot and made the hand more visually important since it is at the front and therefore what the viewer sees first. There is also a flash reflection on the end of the nose that can be quickly eliminated in post.

I still think the effectiveness of this mood shot could be improved by a little more lighting.

Cameron
    And you could have fixed up the kids eyes in post....But now I see the meaning behind #10..you captured a good example of a static, flat snapshot :-) For me, key light in portraiture should be off set to the subjects face..

Equipment
    My cameras: Voigtländer Vitomatic 1a, Voigtländer Vitoret, Konica Z-UP 115e, Revue AC-5, Nikon P100, Sigma DP1s
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I won't be baited in this way and find your general attitude somewhat irritating, Cameron.

Suffice to say I consider Darren one of the more talented contributors to this forum and here, once again, he has presented a worthy piece of work which encaspulates emotion and energy and juxtaposes the divergent ideas of dynamism and desolation. The use of light, space and colour are masterful and the viewers' eyes are drawn to the eyes of the subject; we are at once repelled by the threat of violence and yet drawn by his magnetism. Is he preparing to attack us or willing us on to take shelter under his protection? Does he want to defend something or is his intent to destroy? We are as rabbits caught in the glare of the headlamps, moths drawn to the flame. There is a mystery to the work, we cannot unlock its meaning all at once and as such it is challenging, interesting and inspirational. In short, it is art.

I do not pretend to be able to take a reasonable portrait, but do wonder on the strength of the work you have (reluctantly?) presented in this thread, considering all the points you have posted for the general enlightenment of members on the subject, whether there is a gulf between your knowledge and ability in this area.

Sadly, today is the first time I have had occasion to place another member of this forum on my ignore list.

Time to move on.
    Last edited by Fred Berg; 04-06-2012 at 04:33 AM.
    Dazzaone and MountainRider like this.
    Photography is a portal through which we are transported to other worlds

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    My portraits look so much different to yours Cameron and I can't find an example (humans anyway) of something to compare, I know how to use flash and lighting, posing the subject, focus on the eyes and not letting the background overcoming the main topic. The story behind what I posted is he is obviously a drummer and has had a hard time during life, I won't go into that but has had to fight his demons, I have plenty more from this shoot which look different, plus many more from other shoots, but I don't want to start hi-jacking your thread to show my work... I think you should show more as your previous example didn't work for me.
    Thanks Fred

PHOTO EDITING OK
    This is where I always have problems. I don't believe that I have a creative or artistic bone in my body. It is very difficult for me to come up with any ideas for photos that say anything. I was afraid that I was going to be tossed out of my photography class when I was unable to give detailed reasons for why I took any particular photo other than, "I liked it." I think that my portrait ability ranks my up there with the people who work at the Wal-Mart photo studio running through a scripted set of poses for each client. Not to mean anything bad about the people who take pictures for Wal-Mart, because they still do more and better photography than I do.

And not to derail this thread, but can anyone point me to somewhere where I can learn to be more artistic and see more in things? I understand the general rules for composition, but can't seem to get beyond that.
    Disclaimer: I am not a professional so please take all comments with a grain of salt and consider the source.

Stupid photo blog that I had to make for my college photography class: My Stupid Photo Blog

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Keith it is more to capturing the individual, there are no rules, that is my point, never mind trying to get creative, that will come in time, you need to have an eye for photography and get the shot on the day

Ads