Vet

This is a discussion on Vet within the People Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Thank you to all the veterans out there. I took this one a couple years ago with a point and shoot[attachment=27977:vet1.jpg]...

Thread: Vet

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thank you to all the veterans out there.
    I took this one a couple years ago with a point and shoot[attachment=27977:vet1.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

PHOTO EDITING OK
    How sad.
    When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

PHOTO EDITING OK
    do you typically take pictures of non-homeless people? do you somehow feel justified by taking pictures of homeless people? and most important, why did you take this picture in the first place?

What I see here is a snapshot of a homeless guy that says nothing about who he is or his story. The only reason why it would be interesting is because we can all gock at it and say "how can people live like this". This image does nothing to humanize this person, nothing to help the homeless community, and really says nothing about homelessness. If this guy didn't have a sign, it'd be completely un-noteworthy. Just an old dude eating an orange.

The homeless may have no legal right to privacy, but that doesn't mean that we should exploit the fact. If you are doing a project on poverty awareness, then maybe this is appropriate - though I think that this image is unsuccessful.

Having been homeless, images as these do offend me and I would have offended me then as well.

THAT ASIDE: it is atrocious how our vets are treated, and in my opinion if you serve you should not ever have to pay taxes. We go on about how we are "eternally indebted" to our veterans, but all we ever do to repay them is acknowledge our debts. I remember being homeless some snarky jerk told us that all homeless people should be forced to join the military. I informed him that veterans are the single largest homeless population group and that insisting that we "joining the military" would be wholly ineffective. It is sad.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Ok twinkle....it seems that most times I see one of your comments in this forum, it is confrontational in one way or another.

I can understand your feelings, since as you said you have lived through homelesness, but I cannot tolerate the way that I have seen you attack some of the members in this forum. I doubt that artzy's intention is to humiliate or looked down at anybody, but with this photo he could be certainly raising awareness about a social issue that, even though hard to believe, is so real in this country, which is by the way one of the so called "richest" countries in the world. Instead of taking it so personal and blasting out at artzy, why don't you sit back, be grateful that you are not living like this any more and pray that someone looks at this picture and is inspired to stand up and do something to make a difference in the lives of the many homeless people here in the USA and around the world.
    Daniel

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Well. No. I don't praise people. I don't puff egos. I do provide positive feedback. I do provide negative feedback. often in the same thread. I try to provide feedback about the image, and not the subject. I don't sit around and talk about what great "colors" or what fascinating "textures".

I don't see how images like this help anyone. I do find them dehumanizing, taking one individual, presumably without his consent and transforming him into the symbol of of American socio-economic failure. What do we know of this man? What do we know of his circumstances? Images as these reduce individuals to their social class.

I am 100% certain that the photographer did not intend this. But I was not criticizing the photographer, either. I was criticizing the photograph, this photograph in my opinion is distasteful. That is the case, again, in my opinion, regardless if that was his intent. But I am not alone in this position, and any serious discussion on this topic will include concerns such that I stated.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkle_turnip View Post
    do you typically take pictures of non-homeless people? do you somehow feel justified by taking pictures of homeless people? and most important, why did you take this picture in the first place?

What I see here is a snapshot of a homeless guy that says nothing about who he is or his story. The only reason why it would be interesting is because we can all gock at it and say "how can people live like this". This image does nothing to humanize this person, nothing to help the homeless community, and really says nothing about homelessness. If this guy didn't have a sign, it'd be completely un-noteworthy. Just an old dude eating an orange.

The homeless may have no legal right to privacy, but that doesn't mean that we should exploit the fact. If you are doing a project on poverty awareness, then maybe this is appropriate - though I think that this image is unsuccessful.

Having been homeless, images as these do offend me and I would have offended me then as well.

THAT ASIDE: it is atrocious how our vets are treated, and in my opinion if you serve you should not ever have to pay taxes. We go on about how we are "eternally indebted" to our veterans, but all we ever do to repay them is acknowledge our debts. I remember being homeless some snarky jerk told us that all homeless people should be forced to join the military. I informed him that veterans are the single largest homeless population group and that insisting that we "joining the military" would be wholly ineffective. It is sad.

After reading your response to my post, I'll simply say that it's my belief that your an arrogant grandiose individual who likes to assume untruths for reasons unknown to me. I don't need to be preached to about the legal rights of privacy, nor do I need to justify my personal reasons for taking the photograph. You don't like my subject matter. Fine. I don't have a problem with that. I simply have a problem with the condescending and all knowing tone of your post. Constructive criticism it is not.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

PHOTO EDITING OK
    If you read the second post you'd understand that it doesn't matter to me what your intentions were. The photograph is what I was refering to. I have no idea what your intent was, it is not conveyed in the image. I also have no issue with the subject matter. It's the execution.

But hey, whatever. Awesome colors

ETA:

ok. Maybe my first questions in my post were a little out of line and emotional. However, being that I explained why I didn't like this photograph and what areas I felt needed improvement, I cannot accept that I didn't offer constructive criticism. I'm sorry if I came across as criticizing you on a personal level, this is totally not what I intended but can easily see why it was taken that way. Like I wrote in my second post I am very certain that you didn't mean to take a photograph which would be exploitive, or be interprited that way. Nonetheless, however, I think you had, and I don't think it is apropriate for an artist to hide behind his or her intentions when an image isn't recieved as anticipated.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links