Vintage Photos

This is a discussion on Vintage Photos within the People Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Just recently I made the decision to pursue portrait photography as a career. My specialty will be the vintage, antique & retro portraits. I've found ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Photos

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Just recently I made the decision to pursue portrait photography as a career. My specialty will be the vintage, antique & retro portraits. I've found I have a real passion for that in particular. I've been having a great time practising and choosing props. I just love it... and, I believe, it will be real popular here in this area of NZ as there's nothing else like that anywhere in the Wellington area.. in fact, the nearest portrait studio is several kilometers away....

so.. here are some of my first portraits, using my daughter as my model, of course... I'm really pleased with the results, but would be most happy for any suggestions out there.

[attachmentid=23348] [attachmentid=23349] [attachmentid=23350] [attachmentid=23351]
    Attached Images Attached Images     

PHOTO EDITING OK
    These are all really well done. I think you have made a sound career decision. Good Luck in your Pursues!

We are more ready to try the untried when what we do is inconsequential. Hence the fact that many inventions had their birth as toys. - Eric Hoffer

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The photos look good, although photography of children isn't really my cup of tea... still though, from what I can tell it looks like you're well on your way. Vintage photos seem to be all the rage right now, so I agree that it seems you've made a wise career move. I'd like to see some more examples if you get any cool photos of adults... although finding props for that might be a little more difficult. I'd think old furniture, TVs, radios, that kind of thing.
    yepseeya!
    Lukas W.

My deviantART gallery

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I really like 3 & 4. The expression in 3 is too cute! 4 is my favorite because nothing distracts from the pretty little girl & that "princess" feeling.
    "To think creatively, we must be able to look afresh at what we normally take for granted" -George Kneller

Jean

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Love the idea - looks like you've got a great start there. Great props!

One note (I hope you don't mind): I find the blur to be a little distracting. Maybe just not quite as stark of a contrast would be better. I'm not sure exactly how you did yours, but I like to add a similar effect to some of my photos (in PS) by using the oval marquee tool, feathering the edge (a lot!), and inverting the selection. Then I add surface blur and take down the exposure (or just use the burn tool on a very low opacity). Might work well on these images if you want to give it a try.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Oh, another idea (I can't help myself - I just LOVE this idea):

Another method I've use to "age" a photo is to take an image with a lot of texture and add it on top of the finished image... lower the opacity until it looks believable, then use a mask to clear it off of the "important" part of the picture. (sorry if my description of the process is a little rough - I'm not always sure of the proper terms).

I'm posting an example of a finished image with this look and also the "texture" image I used as an overlay.

Good luck to you - and I can't wait to see more of your images!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Hub

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi texaskiwi,

Congrats on your career decision. I'd tell you how much work is ahead of you, but you probably don't want that news.

I like your style, but as a photographic business person, I would warn you not to lock yourself into a specific portrait style. Fads come and go. Become an excellent traditional portrait photographer above all. Then you can follow and/or create your the trends.

I wish you all the best in the coming years.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I like the idea of an overlay, but not real sure how to do that type of thing... what you described in your first post about photoshop is exactly what I did... I didn't feather a whole lot and I used the "gaussian blur".. I wasn't completely happy with the result but didn't mind the look... I can certainly play with it quite a bit more and try to tweak it for the best look.... thanks so much for the tips...

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Studio614 please note it is not permitted to post your images in anothers thread without permission, please obtain or remove - thanks

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I think you've done a really great job with these. If I have to make a suggestion, maybe not as many props. Seems a bit overdone. Good luck!
    Imagine a world without photography, one could only imagine. - Berenice Abbott

Nikon D7000
    Nikon D40
    18-135mm f3.5-5.6
    50 mm f1.4
    90 mm macro f2.8

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links