First Portrait Attempt

This is a discussion on First Portrait Attempt within the People Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Here is my first attempt at portraits. I made the lights for this shoot... C&C most welcome....

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Here is my first attempt at portraits. I made the lights for this shoot...

C&C most welcome.

We are more ready to try the untried when what we do is inconsequential. Hence the fact that many inventions had their birth as toys. - Eric Hoffer

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Raleigh,

Nice job for a first attempt. I would like to see a bit more critical focus on your models eyes. They seem a bit soft to me. I also am not a big fan of the subject looking away from the frame unless it is for a specific creative effect, or to create a "mood". With critical focus on the eyes, you will engage your viewer and retain their attention longer. Are you using a tripod??

Hope that helps.

-Tony
    Sony a900
    Sony a700
    Sony 18-70 f2.5-5.4
    Minolta AF 50 f1.7
    Minolta AF 135 f2.8
    Sony 24-70 f2.8 CZ
    Sony 70-200G 2.8
    Sony HVL-F58AM

http://www.anthonymonroe.com/

My Photographic blog: http://www.shiftedperspective.blogspot.com

PHOTO EDITING OK

PHOTO EDITING OK

I would like to see a bit more critical focus on your models eyes. They seem a bit soft to me. Are you using a tripod??

-Tony

I does help and you are correct the eyes are too soft. I was using a tripod, but I missed my focal point. Thanks for pointing that out. These were taken in our kitchen and getting everything in position (including me and the camera was a challenge. I cant wait for summer where I can use our barn to set things up right, but winter is a great time for practice and creative solutions for sticky situations.

The background really clashes with her shirt. It's a bold blue next to a soft pink... Really doesn't work for me. Maybe black and white would fix that?
    She looks very sad in the first... Good job capturing that emotion.
    I agree the blue is bold (its actually a chroma Key blue). I was wanting to play with the camera and she was already in pink and have been begging her for a while now, so I didn't complain about what she was wearing. I was more interested in composition, but then again subject and background is certainly part of the composition.

Thank you everyone for your comments, they really are appreciated and welcome. I joined this forum to become better and without the excellent eye that everyone here has that would be much more difficult.

We are more ready to try the untried when what we do is inconsequential. Hence the fact that many inventions had their birth as toys. - Eric Hoffer

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links