Photographing a Torch/Flashlight beam HELP!

This is a discussion on Photographing a Torch/Flashlight beam HELP! within the Night Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Hi I need advise on creating a photograph similar to the attached file. I need to create application photos of a torch beam lighting up ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

Question Photographing a Torch/Flashlight beam HELP!

Hi

I need advise on creating a photograph similar to the attached file. I need to create application photos of a torch beam lighting up a person or a tree in the far distance in the dark. I'm unsure of what settings to put my camera on, I'm still learning about using manual mode, and am eager to learn. I have a nikon 3300 SLR camera, 18-55mm lens and a tripod. I've taken a few photos using 'Auto night portrait mode' setting on the camera but i don't think the photos i've taken show the torches full potential and how awesome the beam really is.

Any advise would be appreciated, Thanks in Advance
    Attached Images Attached Images     

You can do it all in photoshop with its plugins. Or you could do it with an actual flashlight. You might want to shoot it HDR if using an actual flashlight. One shot for the beam, one shot for what the beam is covering, and one shot for the rest of the background outside the range of the beam. For the beam to be visible there has to be something in the air that lights up like dust or smoke. That will give you a really good beam. Otherwise you might have to touch up the beam in photoshop.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links