Neighborhood Fountain

This is a discussion on Neighborhood Fountain within the Night Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Heres a shot i took tonight and kind of like how there are three distinct colors. maybe a bit distracting but tell me what you ...

Heres a shot i took tonight and kind of like how there are three distinct colors. maybe a bit distracting but tell me what you think and how to improve! thanks

oh i shot this under a street light when it was dark out. i used 30" and f20 and 1600 iso. im using a 40d with a 28-135mm lens 3.5/5.6

kyle

PHOTO EDITING OK
    im pretty impressed that this was taken at night...has an odd feel to it, i guess that explains it.
    cool shot though
    Let There Be Light...[/i]

Flickr Photostream...come say hi

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Very nice. Hard to tell it was taken at night.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Heres a shot i took tonight and kind of like how there are three distinct colors. maybe a bit distracting but tell me what you think and how to improve! thanks

oh i shot this under a street light when it was dark out. i used 30" and f20 and 1600 iso. im using a 40d with a 28-135mm lens 3.5/5.6

kyle

Great shot.

I'd have used a bulb and upped the shutter duration 2-3 stops to drop the ISO 2-3 stops. That's partly why the colour looks off even though the balance is about right.

If you went a stop further on the shutter and added an inverted graduated filter to bring down the foreground and up the background you'd balance the fore- and background better.

Small aperture is unavoidable if you need the depth of field, but you could sacrifice a stop or two to bring down the ISO a bit more to 100-200.

You could use a spirit level to straighten out the horizon. There also seems to be some pronounced barrel distortion going on, but maybe that's just an optical illusion from the shape of the landscape. Either way, it's distracting and you could correct that in Photoshop. You'd end up with crisp looking bands of colour.

Currently playing with my EOS 1V & 5D MkII + various L-Series, Minolta MC/MD, M39 RFs, assorted 70-80's fixed lens RFs and occasional MF TLRs

Hub

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi KH817,

I like the shot and appreciate what you went through to make the exposure. My eye was drawn away from the fountain because of all the light colored grass in the foreground. I re-cropped your image to see what it would look like with less grass showing. See what you think.

[attachmentid=25319]

Keep up the good work.

Hub
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I commend you on this creative shot - night shots can be tricky. I agree with some of the comments, in particular, the straightening of the photo and cropping of the foreground grass. I would like to have seen this taken from the edge of the grass (if possible), thus removing the grass entirely and you would have captured more detail. Thanks for sharing.
    Nikon user

Please visit my smugmug site!
    http://chadslaterphotography.smugmug.com/[/url]

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right" - Robert Hunter

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Great shot. It is difficult to get such clean crisp shots at night but you succeeded.

thanks a ton everyone. i actually tried the bulb setting but without a remote it was terrible. i just set my camera on a plastic bin to steady it and set the timer so i could get away from it. i like the cropped version now that i see it, i just went for almost a rule of thirds with the foreground, main, and background. again thanks a bunch and im going to keep playing with different settings like you all have suggested. i just got my first camera last thursday so im having a ton of fun and appreciate the forum a lot.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links