Day rate or Per Shot (Pricing)

This is a discussion on Day rate or Per Shot (Pricing) within the Making Money From Photography forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; My goal is to start a commercial photography business within the next 2-3 years, have already started working on a rough business plan, but need ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tirediron

Thread: Day rate or Per Shot (Pricing)

PHOTO EDITING OK

Day rate or Per Shot (Pricing)

My goal is to start a commercial photography business within the next 2-3 years, have already started working on a rough business plan, but need some advice regarding pricing. I have been doing some research and noticed a lot of commercial photographers are charging a day rate (or half-day rate), but have also read that this is an old way of thinking, and instead you should be charging a per-shot fee. For those that are doing photography professionally, how do you go about pricing you work? Any advice would be really appreciated; thanks!

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    alot depends on what you plan on specializing in. If for example a customer wants 2 or 3 photos of a home for sale then probably a per shot fee, if you can be competitive with other photographers in your area.
    many charge an hourly (with a 2 or 3 hour minimum) half or full day rate, including proofs and a small selection of prints. additional prints of chosen sizes to be available at xx price per print based on size. OR put several print packages together as an alternative offering.
    to price your work, operating expenses + your time + profit margin per day and divide by your hourly package offerings.
    you might for example offer a 2 hour fee at xx, and a 4 hour fee at 2xx, then a full day at 4xx minus a small percentage discount @ full day rate.

look at websites for photographers in your area and see what average rates they charge as a guideline.
    Does anyone know of photography forum's that people Actually reply/comment to postings???

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I charge per-hour for production time and then a licensing fee for each image the client uses; the per-hour charge is a fixed price, so it doesn't matter if I'm there one hour or two days, the client gets his/her money's worth. Licensing fees are based on each individual image or group and depends on the type of media, number of copies/circulation, size, longevity and whether or not exclusivity is required.
    pixmedic likes this.
    Visit my website: John's Photography Comments and critique always appreciated.

ipm
    Equipment
    various
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Definitely a half day and full day fee, some charge per hour but I find by the time I get to a job and set up half the day has practically gone.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links