Obligation to Professional Photographers and the Profession

This is a discussion on Obligation to Professional Photographers and the Profession within the Making Money From Photography forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; I am not a "PRO" nor a "NON-PRO", I have taken pictures of my friends kids for their birthdays and have gotten paid for this.. ...


Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 36 of 36
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2

    Wink

    I am not a "PRO" nor a "NON-PRO", I have taken pictures of my friends kids for their birthdays and have gotten paid for this.. Does this make me a "PRO" because I got paid? I don't have a "STUDIO" does this make me a "NON-PRO"? How long do you have to be in the business before you are classified as a "PRO"? How much money do you have to make to be a "pro"? Personally I am learning.. I am learning everything that I can.. and want to learn more...but then even the PROs are still learning.....

    I have always had a P&S for as long as I could remember.. I love taking pictures and capturing the world through the lenses.. Well as my oldest son got in the 12th grade and needed Senior pictures to be done, this is what got me to want to do the as a "PRO". I priced all the PROs here and I could not afford any of them.. even their cheapest price is still out of my budget. So I took my P&S and posed him in my back yard and snapped away. I had them printed and at that time they looked great.. (amature).. People loved them and told me that I needed to do this for others who could not afford the price, people like me.... ( my work has gotten really really better.. ) lol

    So I went out and dropped about 2000.00 on photography stuff..( AHH you say you can drop that much then why could you not drop that on kids pictures)... Well I could do his for him and still save that money and my husband done a remodle job just for the things that i needed... I did get cheap stuff for lights (regret now.. I know more now then I did then).. I dropped 750.00 of the 2000.00 for just the Nikon D3000 ( I LOVE LOVE LOVE), tripod, and extra lense.... I have light meters and I have maters and slaves (wireless).. i dont have softbox but I do have umbrellas... Even with all this.. I personally do not call myself a "PRO".. cause I dont know how to use it.. but I am taking the time to learn, i really really want to learn.. I have asked others in the industry for help to learn and they get my help in return for free... but there is no takers.. I guess they are scared I would take over.... (I wouldnt but hey)

    All the photos that I have taken have been outside and me letting nature be my back drop and that has worked out better for me.. I would prefer to do this instead of inside.

    but my point would be.. what make us or you or them a "PRO"? I do not understand that term...

    On the money part of this..

    I have offered to take pictures for free and put on DVD for Internet use only.....I need the practice and that is with the full understanding that I am still learning.. This is only with people I know like friends and family and family friends.. I have people ask me if I can do certain things and if I can not then I will send them to some one that can.. The only thing that I do ask is that if you want them printed.. give me the respect to have them printed for you.. and you will have to pay... I will not charge you what a "PRO" would charge because I am still learning and I am not a "PRO" I have images printed with H&H photolab... so I do them at my price then multiply that by 2.. this is what they pay... I am not trying to take anyones business, but I am trying to get in to the industry and if it takes me being cheaper, then this is what it takes...

    Look back to the days when you fist started out (meaning you as anyone, not one person), what did you have to do to start out? what did you have to do to get your name out there?

    This is just my thoughts and opinions... I don't mean to make anyone upset.. sorry if I did....
    Tonia

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cochranton, Pa.
    Posts
    8,081
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hm, just discovered this thread. I don't like to seem bloodless, but here I think I might; I probably wouldn't comment but I'm editing about 400 boring pictures and I need a break. Obviously, I'm only speaking from my experience.

    This sort of seems like a late-night college dorm bull session.

    Where is the line? Inflammatory? What is the non-professional's obligation to the Pros? What obligation? What are the Pro's responsibilities to aspiring photographers? None, so far as I know, unless the "aspiring photographer" is assisting the "Pro". Does an influx of non-professionals into the photographic marketplace dilute the credibility of the profession and the quality of the imagery? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. What is the impact of "giving away" photography in a professional industry that is struggling to make ends meet? I think that's a rhetorical question except for the market in 1989-90, when ad agencies mostly threw their photography budgets at the top 1/3 photographers for security. When do you stop giving away photography and start charging for services? Usually, as soon as you can.

    "Professional" photography is just a business and it tends to conform to standard business rules, albeit perhaps sometimes a bit more cut-throat than normal.

  3. #33
    Proud Nikon Shooter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco's North Bay area
    Posts
    1,547
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by tonroge1 View Post
    but my point would be.. what make us or you or them a "PRO"? I do not understand that term...
    The term professional is easy to explain, it means you do this for a living. It does not mean that you are the best at it, or for that point, even good at it. A lot of amateurs are better than a lot of professionals, they just don't do it for a living.

    In my opinion, when someone tells me that they are a professional, it means (or should mean) that they can deliver each and every time. They have the necessary skills, tools and resources to get the job done.
    Steve

    Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it


    Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus Studios View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tonroge1 View Post
    but my point would be.. what make us or you or them a "PRO"? I do not understand that term...
    The term professional is easy to explain, it means you do this for a living. It does not mean that you are the best at it, or for that point, even good at it. A lot of amateurs are better than a lot of professionals, they just don't do it for a living.

    In my opinion, when someone tells me that they are a professional, it means (or should mean) that they can deliver each and every time. They have the necessary skills, tools and resources to get the job done.

    I will say that agree I know people that have been taking pictures for years and I wouldnt buy anything from them because of the quality of work. I will say however that you have to start out somewhere.. Not everyone started out owning their own studio, and haveing a packed client list.. They all have started out at the bottom and work their way up to the top of the food chain.

    I am not going to lie, photogrpahy was a hobby for me. I love taking pictures, so I decied to take that passion and turn it into a business.. It is not easy to break out in this industry and I am working hard at doing it. I am not like some who only tell friends and family and charge them. I have spent the money a nice camera, and lights and other things. I read and I study every day. I use my camera every day. i am still learning yes.. But this is an investment on my future. I think I am working my way up to the top with the rest of you. But like I said. I(we) all started out at the bottom.. Yes we that are just starting out need to respect the pros who are already making money, but I also feel that the "PROS" need to respect us as well, we only want to be "PROS" as well.

    I will also say that I have offered to be a FREE assitant to PROS for the trade of helping me learn. All I want to do is be the best I can be and offer clients the best. This way they will continue to come back. But I had no responces. A friend told me the reason is because they feel like they would help me learn and then I would steal clients. Well all i have to say is they musty be to sure of themselves to worry about that.
    All I want to do is learn, so if I have to do it on my own, then free photography is what is so that I can give people pictures and at the same time I am teaching myself, since there is no one out their that wants to help someone break out into the business.


  5. #35
    Proud Nikon Shooter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Francisco's North Bay area
    Posts
    1,547
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by tonroge1 View Post
    but I also feel that the "PROS" need to respect us as well, we only want to be "PROS" as well.
    True respect is earned, never given.

    Quote Originally Posted by tonroge1 View Post
    A friend told me the reason is because they feel like they would help me learn and then I would steal clients.
    I have never found this reason to true. The problem with trying to help new photographers comes in two forms.

    1. They want everything handed to them.
    2. Despite what they say, they are not willing to put the necessary effort in.

    I can tell you from personal experience, that helping someone who claims they want it is incredibly difficult. After you deal with a handful of flakes, you learn that your time if far more important. How many of these would you put up with before you stop believing that anyone truly wants to learn? As hard as you may try not to become cynical, the excuses make you tired very fast.
    Steve

    Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it


    Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

  6. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    United State
    Posts
    29
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    This is very informative topic.


 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

a professional photographers first obligation is
,

obligation of photographer

,

obligation of the photographer

,
obligations of a photographer
,
obligations of photographers
,
photographer obligation
,
portrait photographer obligations
,
the professional photographers first obligation
,
? obligations to profession
Click on a term to search for related topics.