maybe a way to boost sales?

This is a discussion on maybe a way to boost sales? within the Making Money From Photography forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; so, i'm working on setting up a deal with a second gallery to display my work, and i had an idea to help boost my ...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    so, i'm working on setting up a deal with a second gallery to display my work, and i had an idea to help boost my odds of making a sale, since i will probably only have one or two prints on display at any given time. what i'm thinking of doing is getting one of those digital picture frames, loading 15-20 of my best shots into it, and using it as a sort of electronic catalog. i can get a 12" size for about $150-175, which will produce an image display about the same size as an 8x10 print. i'll set it up under my prints, maybe with a little sign that says, "more work by the same artist" or something like that, and just let it play a slideshow. the motion of images changing will catch peoples' eyes, and they'll come take a look... they may not want to buy, but as anyone in sales knows, if you get them looking, your odds go way up! i'll leave a stack of my business cards next to the display, so they can contact me, and then sit back and hope i get some calls....

whaddya think? could it work?

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Sounds like a great idea to me.
    Admin

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I think it's a great idea.

I have the same kind of frame (an 8 inch) at work with some business cards and it attracts a ton of attention as people go by ny cubicle.

It's the reason a woman in my office started talking about my photography work and then it got me my 1st paying portrait shoot.

In a gallery setting I think that will really catch their attention.

PS: Smugmug has an offer on discounts on Phillips frames so take a look at the discounts page when you get a moment. Up to 70% off they said (not where the prices start though...)
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Neat idea and thats a good price for a 12" Frame compared to what we pay here

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    i think its a good idea. i did something very similar to the digital picture frame thing you spoke of. i displayed three of my best (in my opinion), in 8x10 size. then like you said, i had a "more by this artist..." thing going on. i used a small potium thing and a very classy photo album with real 4x6 and 5x7 prints (include a self portrait on inside cover) this way, if one of the bigger framed ones on the wall didnt sell, they could always take a cheaper (or free) 4x6 or 5x7's as a "sample". BUT!!! make sure you have a way to identify each induvidual photo. ID number or something. its very un-professional and very embarassing to say to a potential customer, "im not sure which waterfall shot you mean. could you describe it?" true story... let us know how your idea works, good luck!!!
    trust your gut- you'll be glad you did!!!

canon rebel xti / 18-55mm / 75-300mm telephoto

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    i think its a good idea. i did something very similar to the digital picture frame thing you spoke of. i displayed three of my best (in my opinion), in 8x10 size. then like you said, i had a "more by this artist..." thing going on. i used a small potium thing and a very classy photo album with real 4x6 and 5x7 prints (include a self portrait on inside cover) this way, if one of the bigger framed ones on the wall didnt sell, they could always take a cheaper (or free) 4x6 or 5x7's as a "sample". BUT!!! make sure you have a way to identify each induvidual photo. ID number or something. its very un-professional and very embarassing to say to a potential customer, "im not sure which waterfall shot you mean. could you describe it?" true story... let us know how your idea works, good luck!!!
    thanks... i'll have each image titled, with the name embedded in the image so that customers can identify the photos (and a note that the title will NOT appear on the final print! !). and of course my contact info will be right there... i'll leave a stack of my cards, and my name, number, etc. will be on the price list...

cheers!

Rocky

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    sounds good!!!
    trust your gut- you'll be glad you did!!!

canon rebel xti / 18-55mm / 75-300mm telephoto

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Sounds good, Rocky. Good luck and keep us posted!

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I have the same kind of frame (an 8 inch) at work with some business cards and it attracts a ton of attention as people go by ny cubicle.

It's the reason a woman in my office started talking about my photography work and then it got me my 1st paying portrait shoot.

In a gallery setting I think that will really catch their attention.

PS: Smugmug has an offer on discounts on Phillips frames so take a look at the discounts page when you get a moment. Up to 70% off they said (not where the prices start though...)
    Wow, that's a fantastic idea! I might try that sometime.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links