extension tubes test

This is a discussion on extension tubes test within the Macro forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; picked up a set of cheap Fotosy extension tubes on ebay. $20 for a 10 and 16mm set with electronics. not terrible considering the fuji ...

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

extension tubes test

picked up a set of cheap Fotosy extension tubes on ebay. $20 for a 10 and 16mm set with electronics.
    not terrible considering the fuji branded ones are $100 each.
    AF and lens reporting work fine singly, but when i put them together i get neither.
    tried out the 16mm tube using only AF to focus.
    if i need to get closer using both tubes i would have to go MF.
    anyway, not bad for a first attempt i think. shot in a 16" lightbox.
    the exif data is on the flickr page, but even stopping down the lens quite a bit it was still a very small focal plane.
    ive never tried focus stacking before, but i might have to look up some videos on it.
    I cropped it to 1:1, but this is basically the size SOOC, so im pretty pleased on that end.
    not sure if i really NEED to get any closer for ring shots, but ill see after some more testing.

SS skull ring by pixmedic, on Flickr

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    a few test shots using MF.
    i think i need some more practice with MF and perhaps learning focus stacking to really make these stand out.

russian diopside ring by pixmedic, on Flickr

garnet ring by pixmedic, on Flickr

russian diopside/tanzanite/tourmaline ring by pixmedic, on Flickr

To shoot for focus stacking you should have a rail of some kind to keep track of the distance you move your lens. Helicon Focus is a great piece of software to put all the shots together, and you will be amazed how the end shot looks. The rings turned out pretty good as is. I like the facets.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    To shoot for focus stacking you should have a rail of some kind to keep track of the distance you move your lens. Helicon Focus is a great piece of software to put all the shots together, and you will be amazed how the end shot looks. The rings turned out pretty good as is. I like the facets.
    i had a focus rail years ago but gave it away because i never used it. it was geared and let me move the camera side to side as well as front to back.

There is an outfit that produces hardware for focus stacking. You set the foreground and background and then push the button and the camera automatically moves in preset increments and takes whatever number of pics you want. That along with Helicon Focus and some incredible bug photos and other macro shots are easily had. But no less spectacular.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    well, i finally did it.
    i have been eyeing the fuji 60mm f2.4 lens for a while, and i now have one on the way. should be here friday.
    its only a .5 macro, not a true 1:1, but fuji's new 80mm macro lens is $1k and i just didnt want to spend that kind of money.
    ive heard some good things about the 60mm lens being used with extension tubes so im eager to give it a go.
    honestly though, i dont know what the 16mm tube equates to in terms of macro, but for what i want to photograph i might not even NEED 1:1 so the 60mm might be sufficient at its native .5 macro without needing the extension tube at all.
    plus, i have been looking at portrait work done with that lens and it seems to render people pretty well so it will serve a double purpose.

Have you ever tried reverse mounting any lens on your camera? The lens mount ring threads on the other end to the filter threads. With the lens on backwards you can get right up close. I usually use a 28-300 zoom which really helps with composing the image.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Equipment
    Canon EOS 800D
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Great set!

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links