Water drops.

This is a discussion on Water drops. within the Macro forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Experimenting with lighting, had the flashgun directly on top if the splashes. The colour came from some red food dye, cant believe I never thought ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water drops.

Equipment
    Sony A77 + grip, Sony A200 + grip, Sony 16-50mm f/2.8, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Experimenting with lighting, had the flashgun directly on top if the splashes. The colour came from some red food dye, cant believe I never thought of using it before

For those wondering how it was done, here goes...

I filled a freezer bag with some water and then added a few drops of red food dye.

To get it suspended, basically I selotaped the bag to a tablemat, placed it on the edge of the table so the bag was hanging, and put something heavy on the tablemat.

I then placed a tray of milk underneath where the water would drop.

Then, I pierced a tiny hole with a pin in the bag.

To focus perfectly on the water drops, I held a pencil next to where the drops hit the water, automatically focused it on the pencil, then switched to MF so that I didnt lose the focus point (bear in mind that the camera was placed firmly on a tripod.

Once I had the camera set up, I had to decide on the best place for the flash, which I found was directly overhead, this way no light spilled on to the background or the edges of the tray.

To get the right picture, timing has to be quite accurate, the water drop lasts less than a second, so try to get it just right.

There is a good video tutorial by Gavin Hoey in the link below, it's near enough the same bar the flash.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwExpFDUC9Y

Hope that helps

All shot at 1/2000 second, f/8, ISO 100 and then edited in lightroom...

These were probably the 5 best photos out of about 100, there's some more photo's on my flickr ( flickr.com/robellisphotography )
    500px.com/robellis
    http://facebook.com/robellisphotography

Sony A77, A200, Grips for both, 16-50 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-70 f/3.5-5.6, 70-210 f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.

NME Under 21's music photographer of the year runner up.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Looks like fun.

The first is by far my favorite.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Neat Rob, had a go at this last year and its fascinating but can be messy

Equipment
    Sony A77 + grip, Sony A200 + grip, Sony 16-50mm f/2.8, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Yeah - be careful not to get red food dye on your hands - woke up, looked at my palms and thought what the heck haha, and then I remembered... :P
    500px.com/robellis

Sony A77, A200, Grips for both, 16-50 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-70 f/3.5-5.6, 70-210 f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Like #1 the best - tho all are very good. I would like to see #1 cropped tighter to see more detail if you have the time
    Nikon user

Please visit my smugmug site!
    http://chadslaterphotography.smugmug.com/[/url]

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right" - Robert Hunter

PHOTO EDITING OK
    very soothing just staring at them lol

Addicted to photography
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    loving them! gonna try something like that when I have time to make the time

Quote Originally Posted by cho_ro View Post
    loving them! gonna try something like that when I have time to make the time
    wow,so simple and so nice

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks for all the comments, it's amazing how many small details your eyes miss eh'
    500px.com/robellis

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I would like to try. Can you tell us more about your setup and procedure?

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links