A Fly In Better Focus

This is a discussion on A Fly In Better Focus within the Macro forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; OK I set the camera back up to the proper settings this time around. I used in camera macro and +4,+2 lens. The ant ran ...

OK I set the camera back up to the proper settings this time around.
    I used in camera macro and +4,+2 lens. The ant ran threw and out of my focus point. Quick little ones ain't they.

and then lunch

All images hand held.
    Any image is a good image as long as you like it?

Cool macros! Nice detail on that fly!

Thanks much. What a day today, tired.

light/dark its all the same to me
    Great macros nicely done!

Thanks, I am not yet happy. I am wanting the detail of the flys eyes soooo bad. The spider eating lunch could be better as it was so tiny I could barly even see it.
    Next time around I will add a +3 to the mix of lenses. I don't yet have a +10 so I have to work with what I have. Thanks again.

*Freakshow*
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Much better fly shot

I'm still learning macro too. My best advise for super, close macro...is to use a tripod. Once you get that close, even just triggering the timer can cause blur. Maybe not a lot, but enough to make it a little soft.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Lost in a black hole...with no desire to be found
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

what is a 'woodsac'? http://bestsmileys.com/signs12/7.gif

Thanks all!!
    Woody, I here ya on the blur. my other fly shot was cropped to much and that blew the image apart, made it soft looking. I would not consider myself to be still learning as I have many macro shots that are awesome.
    TriPods.....
    Well, I find "IMO" that if one is wanting the challenge of capturing the image then a tri pod wont work. As a tri pod simplifies the challenge. macro is simple, the point to macro is to have the whole subject in focus or a balanced focus i.e "not to have the shallow DOF invoking the subject". The best way to go about that is to keep the POV plane/angle of attack level to subject.
    In my image above the angle of attack was about a 45* angle, that moved the DOF way out of line and blurred the wing and right corner of the rear of the fly. I knew this before I shot the image as I want the eyes in focus.

I have many shots that I use a tri pod for, but macros are fun hand held. Like you say hard to do. I find that fun and challenging. I also don't like to chop up a image and try to make it better with the use of photo editing tools or darkening the image to hide the camera shake, I show what I shot.
    I do bright and contrast and gamma. but rarely use a sharpen tool or unsharp mask to try to fix a bad image. I would rather re shoot the subject until I get it. See what I am trying to say about me. (I like the field of photography for the camera not editing)

Your critiques are fine, no prob here just trying to explain what I am into.

Pss.. My nick name in Chicago growing up my whole life was......woody, belive it or not. Thats weird. LOL!!

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Nicely done Jist. Very cool macros.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links