bubble pic

This is a discussion on bubble pic within the Landscape & Flower Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; here's the bubble photo which i posted in the General Photography forum last Decemeber... [attachmentid=3035] i took this shot at a local park last summer. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bubble pic

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    here's the bubble photo which i posted in the General Photography forum last Decemeber...

[attachmentid=3035]

i took this shot at a local park last summer. i'd gone there to photograph birds, my usual subject, and found myself walking behind a young couple along the path. the girl was blowing soap bubbles with a wand, leaving clouds of them behind her. most drifted off or popped, but this one landed on a stalk of grass and didn't burst immediately. to this day, i don't know what made me think to photograph it, but for some reason, just a whim i guess, i hurried up to the spot, composed the shot, and snapped off three frames before the bubble popped. i wasn't expecting much, since the bubble was less than an inch in diameter, and i shot it with my Sigma from about 7 feet away, but when i got home, i was astonished at the clarity and reflection in the bubble.

i made a desktop out of it for my computer, and also used it at work. then a local paper started a "reader photos" feature, and i sent it in, just for grins. i was shocked to find it in full color, 5x7, printed on the front page! well, a co-worker saw it on my computer desktop, and suggested i submit it to National Geographic for their "Your Shot" feature. i was pretty skeptical, since they get 3,000-5,000 photos submitted every month for that feature, but i figured what the heck, and sent it off anyway. imagine my surprise when they called me two days later to tell me it had been selected!! it appeared in the October 2006 issue. it was quite a small print, but hey... getting a photo published at ANY size in a magazine as prestigious as National Geographic is - to me at least - a pretty darn big deal! needless to say, i realized early on that this is a very unique photo, so i officially registered it with the US copyright office.

after that, i got a little bolder, and when one of the online photo clubs i belong to announced a Photo of the Year contest, i figured what the heck, and entered it. there were, in total, something over 400 entries, winnowed down to 135 for the semi-final stages. the contest was determined by two rounds of voting by members (there are almost 10,000 members in this forum), with the top 15 vote getters advancing to the finals. i was thrilled to make it into the final round, andwhen they got down to the last 2 or 3 places, i was was on pins and needles as they slo-o-o-o-owly posted the final results. in the end, i won by a single vote! first place was worth over $3000 worth of cash and prizes - photo software, lenses, camera bags, free processing, website support, etc... really a very extravagant package for an online contest!

anyway, this photo has definitely gotten its share of publicity... not too bad for something i did purely for a lark, just to see if i could do it...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    WOW!!!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a really incredible picture!!

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Yes, you deserve to be proud of yourself on this one! Glorious!
    Heather

My Blog

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I said it before, and I'll say it again:
    "This shot is to DIE for!"

(I had forgotten it was yours. )
    "Images Of The Vanishing West"

www.GreatBasinLife.com

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Squirl (what's your first name by the way?)

THIS IS JUST WONDERFUL...you may have gotten this on a lark but most of the time - those are the best captures!!!!

Thanks for sharing with us!!!

http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Yes, I did see this before, can't really remember where, maybe even on this forum. Awesome shot. All hats off to you!

www.grogo.co.uk

Canon 5D MarkII, Canon 450D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM, Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, 2 x Canon 580EX II Flashgun.
    Sigma 12-24 f/44.5-5.6DG, Sigma 15mm f/2.8 DG Fisheye, Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG Macro

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Squirl (what's your first name by the way?)

THIS IS JUST WONDERFUL...you may have gotten this on a lark but most of the time - those are the best captures!!!!

Thanks for sharing with us!!!

thanks, Jen... i agree. often the best shots are the unplanned ones!

Rocky

src

PHOTO EDITING OK
    That is really freakin cool. I love how the images reflected in the bubble are swirled.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I remember this shot

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    That is absolutly the most fantastic bubble ever! I kept looking at the bubble and looking at different parts of what was reflected in it. Wonderful!
    [b]Nikon D90*Nikon D40x * Nikon 18-55mm * Nikon 55-200 * Nikon 50mm 1.4
    My desire in photography is to capture the essence of life, to make others catch their breath at the purity of the moment captured, I'm still working on that.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links