Two Lips for Sue and Tricky Tips

This is a discussion on Two Lips for Sue and Tricky Tips within the Landscape & Flower Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; OK, OK Its Tulips for Sue and Triptych ..... bet ya had to look though OK recently Sue raised a great point about where there ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    OK, OK Its Tulips for Sue and Triptych ..... bet ya had to look though OK recently Sue raised a great point about where there are masses of flowers and you just can't capture the splendor of it all. some great suggestions were posted and my contribution was maybe using different images in a Triptych might show them off to their best. I couldn't find any images to use until today when I noticed the neighbours tulips were in full bloom so took a few shots and put together a Triptych using some new frames off this months Photo Mag. Suffers from the 800 pixel rule but hey rules are rules . also there are two images - the first one on my monitor looks over saturated with reds the second under saturated with reds - I'd like to know what you guys are seeing?

OK -I couldn't resist a painted Van Gogh version of the tulips compliments of Gertrudis

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Both look undersaturated to me - but I'm on the laptop - I'll look again when I get the thing docked to a proper monitor.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks Dane - I know laptop monitors can be screwy but then the wifes showed some I did the other day on her laptop with a blue cast which I couldn't see?

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Gosh George. I'm not sure where to begin with my comments, you've raise several points........

First of all, is there supposed to be an "action" for putting together the triptych? Should I do a google search or are you going to point me in the right direction?

Secondly, on my computer both images look remarkedly similiar in color with the second one appearing ever so slightly more orangish...that leads me to........

Third; HORRORS! All I have is a laptop. period. So, if a laptop affects what I'm viewing I'm in serious trouble. It is, however, the largest screen available for a laptop, but no wonder my images look "off" to you "big dogs."

Thanks for putting together this triptych example. I think I would like to give it a try.

I also really, really like the "Van Gogh" look on the tulip. Very effective use of "manipulation."

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Sue I have just amended my monitor setting AGAIN and now they do look similar - does my head in this colour management thing.

As for the Triptych the tutorial is for a single frame but I just make the canvas 3 x wider in photoshop and duplicate the layers - I will get some instructions to you - in fact I have the tutorial and some proper 3 x frame triptychs - I'll go dig that out

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Sue I have just amended my monitor setting AGAIN and now they do look similar - does my head in this colour management thing.

As for the Triptych the tutorial is for a single frame but I just make the canvas 3 x wider in photoshop and duplicate the layers - I will get some instructions to you - in fact I have the tutorial and some proper 3 x frame triptychs - I'll go dig that out

I'll look forward to the instructions!

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I totally love the Van Gogh-esque one! what filter/setting did you use to create that one? I'd love to make my mom something like that for mothers day

The color looks more orangy to me George.

If you can't locate the triptych action let me know because I still have the one you sent me and I can send it to Sue tonight for you.
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The color looks more orangEy to me George.
    Methinks monitor problems are bigger than I thought

If you can't locate the triptych action let me know because I still have the one you sent me and I can send it to Sue tonight for you.
    Sorted

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Really like the look of the triptych. I agee with comments about the undersaturated orangish image and I'm looking on a desktop monitor. Congratulations George, you've figured out how to get 15 images per post.
    John B

Equipment
    Digital: Canon 40D, 7D 18-55 EF-S 55-250 EF-S 100 EF Macro Sigma 50mm Macro 17-40 L 100-400 L - Film: Minolta XGM
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Triptych sounds like a good photo contest subject. But, would not have to be limited to Church related photos, per the definition below.

According to Wikipedia:

A triptych (pronounced "trip-tick" IPA: [ trip'tik] (or US: [ 'tɹʷɪp.dɪk ]) from the Greek τρίπτυχο [ tri'ptu.xo ] tri- "three" + ptychē "fold") is a work of art (usually a panel painting) which is divided into three sections, or three carved panels which are hinged together and folded. The middle panel is the larger one and is flanked by two smaller, but related, works.

The triptych form arises from early Christian art, and was the standard format for altar paintings from the Middle Ages onwards. Its geographical range was from the eastern Byzantine churches throughout to the English Celtic church in the west. Renaissance painters and sculptors such as Hans Memling and Hieronymus Bosch used the form.

Altarpieces in churches and cathedrals, both in Europe and elsewhere, since the Gothic period were often in triptych-form. One such cathedral with an altarpiece triptych is Llandaff Cathedral. The Cathedral of Our Lady in Antwerp, Belgium contains two examples by Rubens and Notre Dame de Paris is an example of the use of triptych in architecture. One can also see the form echoed by the structure of many ecclesiastical stained glass windows. The triptych form has since influenced contemporary painters and art photographers whose triptych don't always hinge.

While the root of the word is the ancient Greek "triptychos", the word arose into the medieval period from the name for an Ancient Roman writing tablet, which had two hinged panels flanking a central one. The form can also be used for pendant jewelry.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links