First HDR shots

This is a discussion on First HDR shots within the IR & HDR Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; OK, so what did I do before posting my first HDR images...I critiqued somebody else's work. Oh well, everyone has an opinion. Now, my first ...

Thread: First HDR shots

PHOTO EDITING OK

First HDR shots

OK, so what did I do before posting my first HDR images...I critiqued somebody else's work. Oh well, everyone has an opinion.

Now, my first two HDR images were taken in such a way as to yield one "realistic" and the other more obviously HDR, Before I shot these, I would have said I wouldn't have spent 2 hours processing a "fake looking" image, but I would have been wrong. And I loved every minute of it.

Even the B&W was made by using the HDR image and then processing a second time in Silver Efex Pro.
    What do you like?
    1) the "realistic" image
    2) The "fakie" image?
    3) The B&W?

(I know you'll tell me why )
    Thanks
    Kevin

PHOTO EDITING OK
    OK, no comments. No news is good news. Or, no news means you don't want to break my heart?
    Kevin

PHOTO EDITING OK
    The realistic image. The technique (HDR) should never be visually obvious as it is in the other two.

Cameron

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks Cameron. I just appreciate the response whether I agree or not.
    Never is a long time. After making the obvious fake looking image, I liked it. And everyone who saw it in print loved it too. So, my ideas about HDR are changing too. I don't really care if it isn't realistic because I wasn't trying to make it look realistic. Now, that said, I have seen HDR fake images I don't like at all. Funny, mine isn't one of them. : )

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    Thanks Cameron. I just appreciate the response whether I agree or not.
    Never is a long time. After making the obvious fake looking image, I liked it. And everyone who saw it in print loved it too. So, my ideas about HDR are changing too. I don't really care if it isn't realistic because I wasn't trying to make it look realistic. Now, that said, I have seen HDR fake images I don't like at all. Funny, mine isn't one of them. : )
    Think of it, this way. I learned this, when I was studying television production as well. It is the image or the content that is most important, NOT the technique that you used to present it. Why should a viewer be distracted from the emotional or other content of your image by the technique that you used? If they are, then it is a weakness.

Remember too, that more people with electronic gadgets and electronic cameras , are becoming more familiar with techniques. So those familiar with HDR will recognize its use. Those without photographic background, will not, but that is a temporary situation. Don't build your self-confidence on temporary approval, or to put it another way, realize that approval may be temporary until they become aware of the HDR technique.

Cameron
    Last edited by Cameron; 04-12-2012 at 07:42 PM.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Cameron:
    A very thoughtful and insightful way of thinking about it. I mean, I had not considered the points you mention, and they are worth thinking about.
    ..however, I don't dislike a good painting because I know what the technique was. If the image is not pleasing, then I don't care if it is made with a Hasselblad or a Polaroid. The same is true for post-processing. If I don't like the results (ever), then I won't use the tool. A few weeks ago, I would have agreed 100%. But, I used the software and really liked the result. So did others, including the several people that recognized it as HDR right away in my camera club. So, don't confuse my reference to others as a builder of self-confidence. It was meant for you to consider that maybe the result is more important than the tool.

Another point: I could give you the raw files and the software, and you could not make my image. Now, in this case it "looks like HDR", but I got over it because the colors and composition pleased me.
    No, images that don't look right out of the camera can be quite nice.

Equipment
    Canon 5d mark ii, Canon 50d, Canon Rebel XTi, canon and sigma lenses, Flashpoint M Series Strobes, Canon Flashes, a ridiculous amount of light modifiers:)
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    What was the process you used to create the second image? Was this a single RAW file that was tonemapped? I like the B&W version a lot.

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I _very_ rarely play with HDR but I confess I've done it once or twice. I usually prefer a "natural" look rather than the obvious processed look. Basically if I use HDR I'm just using it as a tool to compensate for lack of dynamic range.

I can still appreciate some of the effects where it does look like an obvious HDR processed image. So I still like #2 even though I usually don't try to create those.

I'm sure this is an optical illusion but when I look at #2 the pier seems to "twist" as my eye moves down. Maybe it's very slightly non-level. The store at the end of the pier looks more or less level (maybe very very slightly tilted) but the near end of the pier seems to have more of a tilt. This might be wide-angle barrel distortion near the edges of the lens but not distorted in the center.
    Tim Campbell

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links