Winter River

This is a discussion on Winter River within the IR & HDR Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Went for a walk yesterday up this river which brought me to a frozen waterfall (no waterfall shots I liked).Anyways, I dont think I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter River

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Went for a walk yesterday up this river which brought me to a frozen waterfall (no waterfall shots I liked).Anyways, I dont think I am completely satisfied with the shot. So I'm looking for suggestions/criticisms feedback etc.
    Thanks!

The photographer formally known as "soul_blazer"

Minolta x-700
    Canon T1i
    Canon 70-300mm

Honest and open critique/criticism is always apreciated

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I think it needs contrast, Braden. I'd try a strong contrast curves adjustment layer.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    I think it needs contrast, Braden. I'd try a strong contrast curves adjustment layer.
    Ahh I agree 100%. Much better? The river looks a little blown out now. If anyone wants to take a shot at this feel free :P

Minolta x-700
    Canon T1i
    Canon 70-300mm

PHOTO EDITING OK

What do you think about that?
    I pack two things wherever I go: A gun and a camera. You probably don't want to end up in front of either one.

If you like me, like my facebook!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantkarma View Post
    What do you think about that?
    The trees look a lot better but to me, the river has too many blown hi-lights which is what I was experiencing when I was trying to edit mine. Thanks Konstantkarma

Minolta x-700
    Canon T1i
    Canon 70-300mm

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul_Blazer View Post
    The trees look a lot better but to me, the river has too many blown hi-lights which is what I was experiencing when I was trying to edit mine. Thanks Konstantkarma
    I was thinking the same thing- Maybe if you've got the time you could select the river, merge it out, and alter it separately? I'm not too good at this stuff.
    I pack two things wherever I go: A gun and a camera. You probably don't want to end up in front of either one.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by konstantkarma View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul_Blazer View Post
    I was thinking the same thing- Maybe if you've got the time you could select the river, merge it out, and alter it separately? I'm not too good at this stuff.
    Ya I think that is what it may come down to. I dont really feel like putting in the time at the moment but ill come back to it tonight maybe

Minolta x-700
    Canon T1i
    Canon 70-300mm

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I'm really digging the moss on the rocks in stark contrast to the overall white. That's what makes the picture, to me.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Layer masks.

I took the original image and made a duplicate layer. Change the blending mode to "Soft Light" which is a contrast mode. Then I added a layer mask to that layer and painted the river with a soft brush and the foreground color set to 50% gray. Then, wanting still more, I duplicated that layer again, same blending mode, and then painted the river (in the mask) with a black brush. Added a touch of midtone contrast and ran it though a de-noise filter to soften my adjustments.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    Layer masks.

I took the original image and made a duplicate layer. Change the blending mode to "Soft Light" which is a contrast mode. Then I added a layer mask to that layer and painted the river with a soft brush and the foreground color set to 50% gray. Then, wanting still more, I duplicated that layer again, same blending mode, and then painted the river (in the mask) with a black brush. Added a touch of midtone contrast and ran it though a de-noise filter to soften my adjustments.
    wowie! Thanks Dane!

Minolta x-700
    Canon T1i
    Canon 70-300mm

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links