1st HDR in Photoshop CS5

This is a discussion on 1st HDR in Photoshop CS5 within the IR & HDR Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Usually I use Photomatix Pro to do HDR's but I've just recently upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and wanted to try out their claim of improved ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Usually I use Photomatix Pro to do HDR's but I've just recently upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and wanted to try out their claim of improved capabilities for HDR. I have to say, Photomatix tends to soften things too much or completely blow out some colors and (so far) CS5 seems to control things nicely. My results seem more clear. On the downside, Photomatix tends to handle the clouds a lot better. CS5 did some weird things - created lines in the clouds that I had to healing brush out (content-aware is awesome!) Maybe it's my learning curve but I would welcome opinions on the HDR Pro in CS5 compared to Photomatix Pro.

These are of my house. The lighting was really strange since we were about to have a storm, and I wanted to take advantage of it. The dense clouds screamed for HDR.

1. Here is the Photoshop CS5 one. I intentionally turned the details up for a weird look and added a vignette in camera raw. The details seem to have stayed crisp.

2. Here is the Photomatix version. Note the impatiens in the front are blobs of color, but I like the sky better.

-Michael
    CC Always welcome and appreciated.
    My Flickr

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Now if you could only mix those two very different results!

#1: Really like the details brought out in the flowerbed area(wife really liking those flowerbeds...think I'm gonna be busy next year).
    #2: Really like the way the clouds came out.

Did you use a "Default Setting" on the PhotoMatix? You could always bump the Saturation a tad to get the flowers to "bang" a little....maybe?

Scott (both are good in their own way) B
    Sony a350
    Sony kit lense 18-70
    Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX
    Sigma 70-300mm APO
    Sigma 2x teleconverter/10x adapters/Kenko extention tube kit

Canon XS10IS PowerShot {PNS camera}

GoPro Hero 3+ Silver Edition {hanging under a DJI F450 FlameWheel quadcopter}

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I think I like #1 better, there seems to be more depth to it, but that could just be me.
    *I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. ~Frank Lloyd Wright, quoted, 14 August 1966*

Assorted cameras.
    P&S
    Nikon D40
    Olympus E-420

My Flickr

Mulewings~My Blog
    Val

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I don't know much about HDR and what the expected result should be, but I can tell you #1 just explodes off my screen. Fantastic.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    #1 is much sharper. My complaint with Photomatix has always been that the result looses focus and sharpness.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by wini View Post
    #1 is much sharper. My complaint with Photomatix has always been that the result looses focus and sharpness.
    This was my concern with HDR and Photomatrix...

Anyone ever try Artizen?
    *I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. ~Frank Lloyd Wright, quoted, 14 August 1966*

Assorted cameras.
    P&S
    Nikon D40
    Olympus E-420

My Flickr

Mulewings~My Blog
    Val

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Avax View Post
    I don't know much about HDR and what the expected result should be, but I can tell you #1 just explodes off my screen. Fantastic.
    #1 for me too!

(I'm always so envious of your absolutely beautiful flowers. Your landscaping is out of this world! Do you ever make house calls to Tennessee? )

PHOTO EDITING OK
    hey,nice pics and I'm quite interested to read how CS5 works with HDR processing. My comments on the two images:

slightly dark
    good contrast
    good depth
    good color
    good details
    Sharp / Good focus

Quite bright
    low contrast
    color not natural
    Slightly blurry

It's not fair to judge the programs on two photos, we would have to see much more extensive testing to conclude anything really. But good post and certainly has me thinking I would like to look into PS CS5 HDR features.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by HDR Fan View Post
    hey,nice pics and I'm quite interested to read how CS5 works with HDR processing. My comments on the two images:

slightly dark
    good contrast
    good depth
    good color
    good details
    Sharp / Good focus

Quite bright
    low contrast
    color not natural
    Slightly blurry

It's not fair to judge the programs on two photos, we would have to see much more extensive testing to conclude anything really. But good post and certainly has me thinking I would like to look into PS CS5 HDR features.
    You know the more I use CS5 the more I'm preferring it over Photomatix. At first I didn't like the results, but I've done about 100 photos now and am happy with the results. Best of all you can save your most used presets and convert photos at the click of a button. The only downside is the speed - it's painfully slow - about 5 times longer to do an image than Photomatix. I can see where professional photographers will hate that. I'm running 4GB Ram with an Intel Mac. People deep-pocketed enough to afford the Mac Quad-Core with 16GB of RAM will do much better I'm sure.

Another big advantage to CS5 is the "remove ghosts" option that snaps moving people & foliage back into place. WOW!

Sue: Love Tennessee! I'm jealous of your mountains and state parks, those are going to be gorgeous soon!
    -Michael
    CC Always welcome and appreciated.
    My Flickr

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links