How do you(personally) get a natural white balance with HDR?

This is a discussion on How do you(personally) get a natural white balance with HDR? within the IR & HDR Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; http://seattle.vicaso.net/...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Equipment
    Canon 5d mark ii, Canon 50d, Canon Rebel XTi, canon and sigma lenses, Flashpoint M Series Strobes, Canon Flashes, a ridiculous amount of light modifiers:)
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The photographer has a couple options for the interiors. They can set a custom white balance when shooting the scene or use a grey card in one of the shots and adjust it in the studio. To be honest, shooting interiors using HDR is very simple once you know the proper technique. One thing that always makes me laugh with Vicaso is how they reinvented HDR by calling it "Truview". It's been a while since I've been to their site and have to admit, their image quality is worse now that it was a year ago.

Yes I agree, but real estate agents eat this s**t up. They are getting paid good money here in seattle. I am striving to do a better job than them but i dont have the money for all the equipment.

So Why a grey card rather than a white card? I really dont understand the concept behind this.

Equipment
    Canon 5d mark ii, Canon 50d, Canon Rebel XTi, canon and sigma lenses, Flashpoint M Series Strobes, Canon Flashes, a ridiculous amount of light modifiers:)
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Honestly, to shoot interiors like Vicaso all you need is a camera with a wide lens, a tripod and a remote switch. Their technique is all in the post processing. As for grey cards, check out this link. It describes the process very well.

http://www.digitalartsphotography.com/instructions.htm

why a remote switch?

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    using a remote switch will greatly reduce any shake to the camera.

Cant I just use the timer? I still have to change exposures, which can create movement so i figure as long as it has 10 seconds to settle should be fine.

Thanks for all the good advice man.

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    If your camera allows bracketing exposures with the timer setting that works great also. Even with a remote switch you can get slight movement when increasing or decreasing your exposure between bracketed shots. The only true way to really keep from moving the camera shooting over 3-5 exposures (depending on the camera) is to tether it to a computer and adjust the settings through live remote.

Ya I thought about that, but man I just dont feel right about shooting with a laptop and my camera. Thats way to far away from "traditional" photography for me.

Scary stuff

Why do i have to perform white balance before i merge the photos to an hdr or exf file? Cant i just merge and then balance the photo?

By the way thanks for the help Nenortas that tutorial with the grey card you showed me really helped me wrap my mind around some simple concepts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links