Yellow Prop Job

This is a discussion on Yellow Prop Job within the IR & HDR Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; TomD, I'm using Photomatix to process 3 RAWs. I shoot bracketed at 0 and +/-2. I've had people ask me how I normally set the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellow Prop Job

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    TomD,

I'm using Photomatix to process 3 RAWs. I shoot bracketed at 0 and +/-2. I've had people ask me how I normally set the sliders and I reply that it's different for every shot. Combining RAWs and tone mapping is sometimes really just the beginning. I've attached my resulting image after just tone mapping. You can see that it is much more yellow and lots of other blown out areas around the lights and out the elevator door.

The first step is to load it into PS and re-adjust the color by playing with the curves. After that looks good, I layer the original exposures underneath, mask and fix things.

Feel free to download this image and play with it...

-joe
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Joe Ercoli
    My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com
    My Flickr Photostream

PHOTO EDITING OK
    TomD,

I'm using Photomatix to process 3 RAWs. I shoot bracketed at 0 and +/-2. I've had people ask me how I normally set the sliders and I reply that it's different for every shot. Combining RAWs and tone mapping is sometimes really just the beginning. I've attached my resulting image after just tone mapping. You can see that it is much more yellow and lots of other blown out areas around the lights and out the elevator door.

The first step is to load it into PS and re-adjust the color by playing with the curves. After that looks good, I layer the original exposures underneath, mask and fix things.

Feel free to download this image and play with it...

-joe
    You still have access to the individual original exposures after tone mapping and processing into a hdr image? What kind of file type do you save it to and still maintain individual access? I'm assuming that photoshop shows the file as a number of accessible layers. I use Elements 5 and may not have that capability. I'll check.

Edit: I just created a sample and saved it. Photomatix seems to have only 3 "save as" options, tiff 16 bit, tiff 8 bit and jpeg. I saved as tiff 16, creating a 70 MB file and opened that in PS Elements 5. It opened as a single layer. I could modify the file as a whole but don't see how I could play with the component images after hdr creation, at least with my resources.

Thanks,

Tom
    I'm not a Nikon user, I just found this hat.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tom...r-interesting/

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    TomD,

No, you don't have access to the originals after creating the file in Photomatix. It effectively slams all three exposures into one densely populated image. I just save mine as an 8 bit Tiff.

I'm not familiar with PS Elements, but after googling it appears that masks are not *supposed* to be an available function. But, there is a way around that:

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/...ake-layer-mask/

Since I'm processing the RAWs straight from Photomatix, I have to take the extra step to go back and develop them so that I have tiffs of the originals as well. Those are the files that I layer under the HDR.

Again, I'm not sure how to do it in elements, but in PS I go to File->Scripts->Load Files into Stack and it will create a multiple layered file from the images that you select. It's really just the same as copying and pasting different images into the same window to create layers.

-joe
    Joe Ercoli
    My Flickr Photostream

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks for digging that out for me. Good grief, I've been using various versions of PS Elements for years now and thought I was beginning to learn it. That was incorrect, I can't imagine mastering CS. Reminds me of autocad, used by almost all architects and engineers to create drawings. It takes months of multiple hours a day, every day to really get on top of that.

Thanks for the lesson. I'll need to do that a few times to explore the ramifications but it looks to be a powerful tool.

Tom

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I did some CAD (not brand name AutoCAD) in college. If you've done a bit of that, then the concept of layers shouldn't be foreign at all. Masking is easy... While not quite binary in nature it's all based on black and white. If you have a mask on a layer and you've got that mask selected to edit, grab a paint brush tool and your palette is limited to white, black and shades of gray. In PS, hitting "d" on the keyboard selects the default colors on the palette (black and white).

When you paint on a mask, you're basically painting transparency onto the image. Black is completely transparent and white is completely opaque. So, if you paint black onto a mask, whatever is underneath will show through. When I edit an HDR with a layer underneath, I set my opacity at 20% and flow at 75%. This will bring the change from the layer below gradually. The more you brush on it, the more it shows through.

Try this: Take a single RAW that you have and develop it at two different exposures - one at 0 and one at -2. The -2 will probably have a deeper, darker blue sky and a little more contrast in the clouds. Put the 0 on top of the stack, apply a mask to it and try to bring out some of that depth of color in the sky and detail in the clouds.

-joe
    Joe Ercoli
    My Flickr Photostream

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I did some CAD (not brand name AutoCAD) in college. If you've done a bit of that, then the concept of layers shouldn't be foreign at all. Masking is easy... While not quite binary in nature it's all based on black and white. If you have a mask on a layer and you've got that mask selected to edit, grab a paint brush tool and your palette is limited to white, black and shades of gray. In PS, hitting "d" on the keyboard selects the default colors on the palette (black and white).

When you paint on a mask, you're basically painting transparency onto the image. Black is completely transparent and white is completely opaque. So, if you paint black onto a mask, whatever is underneath will show through. When I edit an HDR with a layer underneath, I set my opacity at 20% and flow at 75%. This will bring the change from the layer below gradually. The more you brush on it, the more it shows through.

Try this: Take a single RAW that you have and develop it at two different exposures - one at 0 and one at -2. The -2 will probably have a deeper, darker blue sky and a little more contrast in the clouds. Put the 0 on top of the stack, apply a mask to it and try to bring out some of that depth of color in the sky and detail in the clouds.

-joe
    Thanks for that, it was a help. Without the concept of what you are trying to do, the series of steps are essentially like mumbo-jumbo steps in a magic spell rather than a process to an end. With elements, you have to do the process indirectly, using an adjustment layer to vary the opacity. When you said painting transparency, a light came on.

Thanks,

Tom

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links