Just started doing HDR

This is a discussion on Just started doing HDR within the IR & HDR Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Hi, I'm new here. I decided to give HDR a shot today and would like to continue doing so since I like the way HDR ...

Hi, I'm new here. I decided to give HDR a shot today and would like to continue doing so since I like the way HDR pics look vs. regular pics. I just have 2 quick question. 1) There is some noise in the pics, what would be the best way to remove it and is there a way to prevent it from occurring during the HDR processing? 2) Notice the "halo" on the bottom left surrounding the tree, how can I prevent that?

I used Photomatix btw and I will give PS a shot to see which works out better for me.

[attachmentid=22514]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Great shot, thats a heck of a sky you've captured.

In regards to the noise - any noise from the image gets amplified in HDR processing, in my experience. Really need to use the lowest ISO possible to prevent noise in the final image. Might try running it through noise reduction software, like Noise Ninja, to reduce noise after you've made the image. Works amazingly well for me.

For reducing halos, I usually play with highlights smoothing, strength, and light smoothing options. Usually it won't go away completely, but will be minimally noticeable.

Thanks. I used iso 100 so I don't know why the noise is showing up when I put the pics through photomatix.
    Great shot, thats a heck of a sky you've captured.

In regards to the noise - any noise from the image gets amplified in HDR processing, in my experience. Really need to use the lowest ISO possible to prevent noise in the final image. Might try running it through noise reduction software, like Noise Ninja, to reduce noise after you've made the image. Works amazingly well for me.

For reducing halos, I usually play with highlights smoothing, strength, and light smoothing options. Usually it won't go away completely, but will be minimally noticeable.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi,
    Noise is the down side of this kind of processing especially the dark areas.
    It can be fixed as mentioned but create a mask in photoshop and brush out the noise in the effected areas but you will loose detail.
    You could always take a few sets of images ie if you take 3 images ( - correct + ) and then take them again, say another 3 sets then stack the them in Photoshop then that should sort out most of it. The reason for this Is that noise has a different pattern with each exposure so when you combine the Images you are replacing the bad pixels with good ones. I have never done It in photoshop but I have with Registax a free software you can download ( I used to own a CCD camera for Astrophotography).

The halo is an indication that the tone mapping is done wrong, just go easy on the sliders in photomatix, I can't remember off the top of my head which ones do it the most but one I do know is Luminosity.

Just keep practicing and It will all fall into place. There are some good tutorials on youtube to get you on the right tracks.
    Here is one I have just found for you and Its a good one. Youtube HDR

Nice first attempt by the way, a fantastic sky.

ATB

jon
    ATB

jon

Hub

PHOTO EDITING OK
    SonataA,

Valiant first effort. The first one is always the most difficult.

I agree completely with Jon. For the reasons he stated, I find it is best to take the MINIMUM number of images required to capture the dynamic range you are seeking. The more images taken and combined the more the problem is combined. I find, if I'm paying close attention to my camera's histogram. I can usually get by with three and sometimes two exposures to capture the range of densities I want in my final picture.

I also agree that since you've gone to all the trouble to set up, compose and determine the exposures required, shoot the series at least twice. Digital image storage is cheap. Getting back to the same location to take the picture again can be difficult or impossible. As hard as you try, there is always a chance that the camera moved one pixel or more between exposures. A backup set of exposures may save the day.

But, you've done very well getting started. Your images will improve as you learn from experience and define the style you like most in the final image.

Good luck.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

Great first effort and wonderful sky.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    For a first effort, you did a bang up job.. Nice shot.. Like it has been said, the noise can be fixed, don't sweat it.
    Weapons: A 1977 Praktica LTL3
    Kodak ZD710
    Nikon D-40 w/Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 55-200mm, & remote
    Kenko 420-800mm + 2X Teleconverter
    Digital Concepts Close Up Lens Set, Macro Ring Set.

Life Through A Lens, Is A Life Time Full Of Memories......

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links