Old Cemetary

This is a discussion on Old Cemetary within the IR & HDR Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; Very new to HDR. I don't think I set the exposure bracket far enough apart, only 1 stop on either side instead of 3. My ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Cemetary

Equipment
    Digital: Canon 40D, 7D 18-55 EF-S 55-250 EF-S 100 EF Macro Sigma 50mm Macro 17-40 L 100-400 L - Film: Minolta XGM
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Very new to HDR. I don't think I set the exposure bracket far enough apart, only 1 stop on either side instead of 3. My post processing is also uninspiring. Used PhotoMatix 3.0.

Is the only problem the exposure, or are there "secrets" to the post processing that would help?

Thanks.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Try turning the light smoothing up high, to eliminate the halo effect in the sky, around the edges of the trees.

For landscapes, I find it creates unnatural looking colour, especially on greens. Black and white can work better for landscapes.

Seems to create the best results in architectural shots, city scapes, etc.

Can be very useful inside places such as cathedrals, where the light is low, and flashes are not allowed.
    My photo blog
    I use a Canon EOS 40D + various lenses.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Jerry I'm no expert at HDR but some subjects work very well (stone wood etc) and some don't. You also have to have a good tonal range to start with, I assume you did shoot in RAW?

The sun looked bright and may have an effect, if you look at the foreground which is in shade in #2 you are starting to get a good tonal range.

Hopefully some of our HDR experts can chip in with some better advice

Equipment
    Canon 5d mark ii, Canon 50d, Canon Rebel XTi, canon and sigma lenses, Flashpoint M Series Strobes, Canon Flashes, a ridiculous amount of light modifiers:)
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I think the pictures have potential though I don't think that -1,0,+1 will give you any more range than if you had just shot a single RAW. What settings are you using? Some tips that might help.
    Meter the scene and take your highest and darkest range. Shoot exposures between the two.
    Take your camera off of autofocus.
    If your shooting off a tripod also make sure any stablization is off.
    If you don't have a remote switch invest in one.
    Avoid landscapes with hard light, early morning or sunset look best in HDR.
    As for post processing, the only thing I really use photomatix for is combining the images and tonemapping them for a LDR image. I adjust all color and brightness using the curves in PS. I'd keep the saturation down and the strength down as well in Photomatix if you want to produce an overall realistic image.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I think the pictures have potential though I don't think that -1,0,+1 will give you any more range than if you had just shot a single RAW. What settings are you using? Some tips that might help.
    Meter the scene and take your highest and darkest range. Shoot exposures between the two.
    Take your camera off of autofocus.
    If your shooting off a tripod also make sure any stablization is off.
    If you don't have a remote switch invest in one.
    As for post processing, the only thing I really use photomatix for is combining the images and tonemapping them for a LDR image. I adjust all color and brightness using the curves in PS. I'd keep the saturation down and the strength down as well in Photomatix if you want to produce an overall realistic image.

Thanks for those tips, useful for everyone, i've just started to play around with HDR...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    that large tree looks great and would love to see a really tight crop on it.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    True, HDR or not!

All good advice, though.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Equipment
    Digital: Canon 40D, 7D 18-55 EF-S 55-250 EF-S 100 EF Macro Sigma 50mm Macro 17-40 L 100-400 L - Film: Minolta XGM
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks to all - great tips and information. Much appreciated

Settings:

18-55 EFS IS set at 18mm
    White Balance - Auto
    ISO - 200
    f/11
    "Normal" - 1/60th
    -1 - 1/125th
    +1 - 1/30th

I have a remote, just didn't think to use it

I did convert the "normal" exposure to B&W and posted them in the current challenge thread on B&W.

And it was the middle of the day - HOT as blazes too.

Equipment
    Canon 5d mark ii, Canon 50d, Canon Rebel XTi, canon and sigma lenses, Flashpoint M Series Strobes, Canon Flashes, a ridiculous amount of light modifiers:)
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I see you also have you WB set to auto. If you select a specific WB you should have an even tone through out the images. Are you shooting in RAW?

Equipment
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    They were shot in RAW.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links