My Surreal Nude Photos...

This is a discussion on My Surreal Nude Photos... within the Glamour & Artistic Nude forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; yes, I see what you mean about not centering the subject... I appreciate all of your help with my photos... : ) thank you......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Equipment
    Sont DSL90
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    yes, I see what you mean about not centering the subject... I appreciate all of your help with my photos... : ) thank you...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks for the reply, & I hope I've helped, even a little. As always, my comments are subjective and sometimes breaking the "rules" just works. A photography instructor I had many years ago subscribed to the theory, "visualize the end result, and duplicate that mental image by what ever means necessary".

Equipment
    Sont DSL90
    PHOTO EDITING OK

Please Help With This One...

I'm having trouble with the shadows.... any help would be appreciated... Thanks....

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Carol
    What I"m seeing is more or less typical of a backlit photo. Highlights on the lit area, shadows where the light doesnt reach. Are you wanting some fill light to lighten the shadow areas? Are you wanting deeper, darker shadows to add some mystery to the shot?
    If the former, you need to add light to the scene. This can be done with white reflectors carefully positioned to reflect light where you want it. two or three pieces of white backed matt board make inexpensive reflectors. North facing windows or an additional light source are other options.
    If you're wanting to go darker shadows, directing the light to control light spill that bounces from surrounding surfaces is a must. This can be done by blocking the light with large pieces of black matt board (or similar) placed to block the light source from spilling over where its not wanted. black curtains or dark lamp shades for example adjusted to give the desired result work too. Some effects can be accomplished in post processing also.
    give us an idea of the desired effect and we can go from there.
    Last edited by Charlie_S; 04-09-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Equipment
    Sont DSL90
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_S View Post
    Carol
    What I"m seeing is more or less typical of a backlit photo. Highlights on the lit area, shadows where the light doesnt reach. Are you wanting some fill light to lighten the shadow areas? Are you wanting deeper, darker shadows to add some mystery to the shot?
    If the former, you need to add light to the scene. This can be done with white reflectors carefully positioned to reflect light where you want it. two or three pieces of white backed matt board make inexpensive reflectors. North facing windows or an additional light source are other options.
    If you're wanting to go darker shadows, directing the light to control light spill that bounces from surrounding surfaces is a must. This can be done by blocking the light with large pieces of black matt board (or similar) placed to block the light source from spilling over where its not wanted. black curtains or dark lamp shades for example adjusted to give the desired result work too. Some effects can be accomplished in post processing also.
    give us an idea of the desired effect and we can go from there.
    Thanks again... I could do that... is what your telling similair to the umprellas I see the photographers using to reflect the light back on the subject? Thank you... work in progress

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Carol
    When i mention matt board think in terms of large pieces of poster board, in fact poster board would work also, white to reflect light, black to block light. The trick of course is getting the white reflector board at the right distance from a subject to reflect the amount of light desired on to the dark side of the subject. Usually such a reflector is placed fairly close just out of camera view. Any large flat surface can be a reflector as long as its white. Colored surfaces will reflect a color cast on to the subject. To have a better idea of how reflectors work, test it on a small scale. Set a small object on a table, a vase for example, and place a lamp on one side maybe 2 feet away. shoot a shot or two and look at the results. Next, using a piece of white cardboard, maybe 12 x 12 in this case, starting at maybe a foot away on the opposite side, tilt that cardboard back and forth a little and you can see on the vase how the light reflects back on the dark side. when you get the dark side "lit" with the reflected light, shoot a shot or two and compare to the first photos. You can also repeat this test with a piece of black cardboard and see how it will help create darker shadows on the unlit side.

To answer your question though, yes what i'm referring to is similar to a photographers umbrella, in that its reflecting light on to a subject, though an umbrella is generally used with a flash of some sort. A reflector can be used with an umbrella on the dark side of a subject, to reflect that light back as fill light, similar to the example i gave above. The only difference is the size of the poster board, or matt board reflector. For people 2 x 3 feet isnt out of line, and at times maybe even larger.
    Last edited by Charlie_S; 04-10-2014 at 09:12 AM.

Equipment
    Canon DSLR + mirrorless
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Carol,

I like all of the first three. Simple and direct.

Equipment
    Sont DSL90
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by galder View Post
    Carol,

I like all of the first three. Simple and direct.
    Here is what I call.. "Painted Nude Lying In Bed"
    Last edited by sexycarol; 01-23-2018 at 09:02 AM.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Interesting treatment Carol. My only suggestion would be recolor the little bit of pillow under your left arm. For me at least it draws my eye away from your features. I do like the effect though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Charlie_S; 04-22-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Equipment
    Sont DSL90
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    thank you C for your opionion : )

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads