Second Shooter Pay

This is a discussion on Second Shooter Pay within the Forum Rules forums, part of the FORUM INFORMATION DESK category; Hello. I am writing to ask wedding professionals their opinion and hear their personal experience. I am a wedding photographer and I work for a ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

Second Shooter Pay

Hello. I am writing to ask wedding professionals their opinion and hear their personal experience. I am a wedding photographer and I work for a very small company. I often shoot as a second shooter but occasionally am the head photographer on weddings/events. As a second shooter, my boss requires that I edit all the photos I took before I give them to him to make the final touches. I edit them down to usable shots, color correct them, and crop if needed using Photo Mechanic and Lightroom. This can take me up to 2 hours for each wedding. He requires that I do this on my own time (not paid) at home. Is this normal? Should I be getting paid for editing these photos? I do get paid hourly for my time as a second shooter but it's the post production work I am unpaid for. It seems like I should be getting paid for editing as well since it is work-related but I wanted to hear from other wedding professionals to hear thoughts and experiences before I say anything about being treated unfairly....please help! Thank you!!
    Last edited by P4610BS; 11-07-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Additional information added

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    It's odd that as a second-shooter you would be required to edit images at all. Since you don't say where you are, it's hard to give too much advice, but in general, if you're being paid a straight, hourly wage, then you should be paid that wage for all the hours you work. If, on the other hand, you're being paid for the job, then that processing is deemed part of the job.
    Visit my website: John's Photography Comments and critique always appreciated.

That is odd that they are wanting you to edit your work for them. Most of the time main photographers want you to shoot and leave the cards with them. It all really depends on how much you are being paid and what you feel comfortable working for. The big question is when you are the head photographer does your rate go up. There is a lot of added responsibility when you are the main shooter.
    Orlando Wedding Photographer William Arthur Photography

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    honestly, ive never heard of a second shooter having to edit photos. typically the editing is done by the main photographer in order to keep consistency in their final product for the client.
    however, if you are an hourly employee (here in the US anyway) the company you work for is required by law to pay you for the time you spend working, whether it is shooting or editing, as long as it is part of your job.
    most of the second shooters i have known were all paid flat rate to shoot, but did not do any editing. my wife interned with a wedding and portrait photographer before doing it on her own and second shot for a few people. she was paid a flat rate for it and did not edit.

i suppose the actual answers to your questions are:
    no, that is not normal.
    yes, you should be paid for your editing time.

Ah pixmedic, that was 3 years ago. The guy now lives in Bali after running a quick ponzy scheme.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Till now I haven't come across the second shooter who used to edit photos. There is just a main photographer who does all this work.

No, the second shooter was behind the knoll. He is gone now and you will never come across him.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    Ah pixmedic, that was 3 years ago. The guy now lives in Bali after running a quick ponzy scheme.
    damnit...i start working the night shift and look what happens...moderater senses go all to heck.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    No, the second shooter was behind the knoll. He is gone now and you will never come across him.
    Ohh I see.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links