Copying old photos/slides to digital

This is a discussion on Copying old photos/slides to digital within the Forum Rules forums, part of the FORUM INFORMATION DESK category; I have finally found enough time to transfer all of the old photographs/slides to digital. Where do I start? My first thought was to go ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldcars

Thread: Copying old photos/slides to digital

Copying old photos/slides to digital

I have finally found enough time to transfer all of the old photographs/slides to digital. Where do I start? My first thought was to go the easy way and buy a high quality scanner. I am beginning to wonder if it might be better to make a fixture to hold my camera (Cannon EOS 5d Mark II) and photograph the old photos. I could project the slides and photograph them. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does anyone have thoughts on lenses and lighting?

Charlie Stephens

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I would go with the scanner option, especially if you have a lot of them; you can have probably a dozen slides per scan, separate them digitally and be done in much less time. If you search eBay under 'slide copier' or 'slide duplicator', there are a number of options from specialized scanners to attachments that will mount directly to your camera to allow you to copy them one at a time.
    Visit my website: John's Photography Comments and critique always appreciated.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Of great importance when scanning, be absolutely sure your slides or prints are totally dust free, and in the case of a flatbed scanner, that the glass is spotless. streaks, dust specks, any imperfection shows up in a scanned image. My experience with slide compatable flatbeds left some to be desired, both in color balance and images being out of focus. The one dedicated slide scanner I tried several years ago, left color balance an issue so be prepared to do alot of dust and color balance editing.
    Does anyone know of photography forum's that people Actually reply/comment to postings???

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_S View Post
    Of great importance when scanning, be absolutely sure your slides or prints are totally dust free, and in the case of a flatbed scanner, that the glass is spotless. streaks, dust specks, any imperfection shows up in a scanned image. My experience with slide compatable flatbeds left some to be desired, both in color balance and images being out of focus. The one dedicated slide scanner I tried several years ago, left color balance an issue so be prepared to do alot of dust and color balance editing.
    Excellent advice!
    Last edited by tirediron; 10-07-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Thanks for the help

Just a post to say thanks to tirediron and Charlie_S for taking the time to respond. I have been lurking and learning. When I finally get through with the project (which may be some time, I still have to find all of the photos and slides), I will post what I ended up doing, how it worked, and any lessons I learned. If anybody has additional thoughts please post them as I will be monitoring the thread.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Good luck - let us know how it went!

Problem Solved

Quote Originally Posted by tirediron View Post
    Good luck - let us know how it went!
    I got distracted from the project but it paid off in the long run. I had come to the conclusion that stepping up and buying a photo scanner was the best solution. One of the fellow photographers that I had posed the same question to had a photo scanner become available at his workplace (they were surplussing it). The quality was fine but the unit was too slow for business use. Thanks again.

Charlie Stephens
    jannatul18 likes this.

I purchased a Qualide Zoom Slide Duplicator for $15 at a camera show of used equipment. It just attaches to camera like a lens. Drop in the slide, point at the sky and take your pic. The quality is amazing and its as fast as you can change slides.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcars View Post
    I got distracted from the project but it paid off in the long run. I had come to the conclusion that stepping up and buying a photo scanner was the best solution. One of the fellow photographers that I had posed the same question to had a photo scanner become available at his workplace (they were surplussing it). The quality was fine but the unit was too slow for business use. Thanks again.

Charlie Stephens
    Thank you for sharing the solution here as well, its gonna help others!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcars View Post
    I have finally found enough time to transfer all of the old photographs/slides to digital. Where do I start? My first thought was to go the easy way and buy a high quality scanner. I am beginning to wonder if it might be better to make a fixture to hold my camera (Cannon EOS 5d Mark II) and photograph the old photos. I could project the slides and photograph them. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does anyone have thoughts on lenses and lighting?

Charlie Stephens
    Thanks to everyone for all of the advice. I will probably go with an Epson Perfection V600 Photo scanner. Does anyone have any comments good or bad on this product? Anything else I should be looking at?

Charlie Stephens

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links