26 shades of gray (grey)

This is a discussion on 26 shades of gray (grey) within the Forum Help, Suggestions & Feedback forums, part of the FORUM INFORMATION DESK category; I notice the box above most forums where I can post a photo that describes how, if I don't have a monitor calibration device, I ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I notice the box above most forums where I can post a photo that describes how, if I don't have a monitor calibration device, I should see if all 26 shades of gray are in the diagram below this description.
    My question is, how do I know if I am seeing the 26 shades? Should all the boxes be a shade of gray? On my monitor it looks like the farthest left box is white, and the farthest right box is black, and all the boxes in between these two are shades of gray. Is this the way it should be?

One more question, can you recommend a monitor calibration device? Should my monitor, Samsung SyncMaster T220HD, have an internal calibration device? Or one on my PC, emachines T5026?

One more point: an image of a photo I take on my camera, when I display the photo on the camera LCD screen, is always is brighter than when I view it on my monitor.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Sounds right - the key is that you can see 26 distinct boxes. It would be a problem if the last 3 or 4 to the right all looked white, or the last 3-4 to the left all looked black.

Here's an interesting article that compares most of the monitor calibration tools on the market. Does a much better job than I could,

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links