"Brutally honest photo critique requested"

This is a discussion on "Brutally honest photo critique requested" within the Forum Help, Suggestions & Feedback forums, part of the FORUM INFORMATION DESK category; Try as I may, I can't seem to come up with a good preamble so I guess I'll just jump right in. I'm aware that ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Try as I may, I can't seem to come up with a good preamble so I guess I'll just jump right in. I'm aware that my usually specific and definite point of view isn't universal, so I'm hoping for feedback and continuing dialog up to a certain point where I hope some decision(s) will be made. My conception of this topic is that it should be dynamic.

Renaming the critique area seems to have broken a logjam there. I think that's great- honest feedback is vital.

"Brutally Honest" might not be a good term, as it seems to have been interpreted by some to mean "brutal and honest". I think brutal is weird and usually counter-productive. Maybe "Frankly Honest" would be better.

Constructive criticism is, I believe, valuable; destructive criticism presented brutally is destructive. Isn't it possible to make constructiveness a guideline here?

I feel exasperation with people who wail about people who post more than one picture here- it seems like they're saying, "Oh poor me, look at what you're making me do, boo hoo." I cannot grasp where they must be at to feel that they must comment on all the pictures.

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    "Brutally honest photo critique requested" forum has been temporarily disabled.
    Admin

Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Maybe "constructively honest" is a better name?

It seems to me that all the forums should be that way. This is a forum, after all- not a bulletin board where people just post things. If you want that, post on Flickr or Photobucket and be done with it. A forum, by its very nature is supposed to invite discussion, opinion, agreement, disagreement, etc. It should always be cordial and friendly, and in that light, I applaud the moderators for nipping a potentially disrespectful situation in the bud. I've been on many other forums where people run rampant and you can no longer post anything without it eventually turning into a flame war.

It seems to me that many of the photo posting areas are nothing more than a "great photo" area. People post stuff and it is frowned upon if someone says the picture has a problem. Sorry, most of them do. Most of them are not great. Mine included.

I guess I can go with it either way- I can certainly respect however things are and work within those guidelines. Again, the moderators do a great job, IMO, keeping things civil.

It's fine to have an opinion. My question to those involved in the recent flame war is- are you so small minded as to believe that your opinion is the only one that is valid? Hmm, maybe I'll include that one in my signature.

Regards,
    Marlo

Check out my blog! --- http://marlomontanaro.wordpress.com

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I never quite understood why there was two different areas to post photographs, all this did from my POV is create confusion about what goes where.

When I first got here I complained about having no comments in the galleries, people directed me to the critique forum. After loosing my taste for the gallery forums after the "10 Naked Ladies" fiasco, I started posting in the critique forum exclusively thinking that the gallery was simply the wrong venue for such discourse. However the discussion I offered (never excuses) about my own images was met with with hostility, certain members concluding that a critique forum is not a discussion forum and there is no room for artist feedback.

I also never cared for the fact that the critique forum had no categories to give images context. Abstract photographs were pinned up against landscapes and landscapes pinned up against portraits. Some might conclude that a good image is a good image regardless, but I disagree and feel strongly that genres give context and a common lexicon about the artist's intentions and allows teh audience to specialize in giving feedback in areas that they are comfortable with.

What I would suggest is opening the gallery section to critique, making it very clear that is what is expected, ditch loaded phrases like "brutally honest" and moderate any feedback from abuse. Most of us don't mind some constructive criticism, and for those who don't want feedback for whatever reason can post in a "no words" section.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Twinkle,

The Gallery section is and always has been open to critique.

The "Brutally Honest" section is exclusively for critique.

The critique itself should be civil and respectful, regardless of where you post it.
    Admin

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I understand that, and I wasn't trying to excuse my past poor behavior, at least not specific accusations on my part.

I think if the gallery is open to critique, then the critique forum is kind of redundant. I don't really see what purpose it serves aside from inviting people who just want to nit-pick over other people's photography. I don't know what happened most recently, but I have seen some people doing this, simply offering snappy, thoughtless oneliner critiques that don't really do much except boost the critic's own ego.

I also think that people should be made better aware that the gallery is open to viewer feedback. It seems that in the past I have made honest and what I though constructive critical observations in the gallery that was met with "nobody asked you" or "I wasn't looking for a critique" kind of replies. I kind of came to the conclusion that feedback in the gallery was tolerated but not intended or appropriate.

If not a "no words" section, then maybe encouraging people who are not looking for critique to put "NW" or "NC" in the title.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

Equipment
    Canon XTi Rebel and my imagination
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I see that problems only start when one poster critiques another posters critique. When I ask for CC on a photo I submit, I will look at all and see which ones are relevent or useful. I don't need anyone elses opinion about someones opinion (if that makes sense).
    If you want to post under something called (....whatever) honest, than just accept what you get. Nobody really knows anyone here so CC should not be a personal attack. Just use it to become better etc...
    It's when someone weighs in about anothers critique that the problems start.
    When offering CC, lets just keep it to the photo submitted and nobody get their feelings hurt and we all help each other.

(I know, I do ramble on......... )
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

---------------------
    Greg

Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    That's an excellent observation Greg. And that's exactly what happened most recently.

Regards,
    Marlo

Check out my blog! --- http://marlomontanaro.wordpress.com

Im somewhat of a newbie here and find this site to be fairly quiet as far as daily action. But the words of Greg should be posted on every members forehead before they speak they should read those words. Critiqueing a critique should get a warning before it leads to problems. There are many kinds of people here from many different places. And how we type, unless it is very clear, can often lead to misinterpretation. As long as the critique of a posted image concerns the image and isnt a personal attack on the OP then what is said shouldnt be attacked. Its then up to the OP to sift through the various critiques and select those most informative. Being dishonest to be nice and saying something is nice when its not doesnt help anyone. Simply saying I dont like it isnt good either. Whatever is said should be backed up with example(s). Just on a side note I dont think there should be a distinction between PHOTO EDITING OK and PHOTO EDITING NOT OK. If you dont want your image touched dont post it. For those willing to alter an image to 'fix' it or to illustrate what is seen as something wrong I would just thank them. Often its a learning experience for both the original OP and the 'fixer'. But having this division does divide the members. Just my opinion.
    I wont shoot a wedding for any amount of money.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Well I'll just give my two cents here. I feel, as im sure others do, that a lot of the posts of pictures that go on here arent necessarily for critique. There are shots that "proud parents/grandparents etc.." just want to show off someone who means the world to them. Because this is supposed to be a community "showing off" (for lack of a better term) is great.

I really liked the critique section because I think it gave me the chance to develop my critical eye in other people's work which in turn I'm sure will help me. It was the section of the forum I read every thread in every time I'm here.

I think as a forum most...most of the people here are mature enough to handle giving and receiving critiques without being defensive. Any off topic posts have been shut down for the most part and for now I will say that I'm going to miss that section of the forum.

I guess I am sort of rambling on now. But long story short I think I will miss the opportunity to post something and have honest feedback about how people feel.
    The photographer formally known as "soul_blazer"

Minolta x-700
    Canon T1i
    Canon 70-300mm

Honest and open critique/criticism is always apreciated

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links