A Photoforum directory

This is a discussion on A Photoforum directory within the Forum Help, Suggestions & Feedback forums, part of the FORUM INFORMATION DESK category; I seem to have been - and probably still am - on an on-going process of discovery of the nooks and crannies here, especially casual ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I seem to have been - and probably still am - on an on-going process of discovery of the nooks and crannies here, especially casual chat and games. It's kind of a fun process, but I kind of wish there were a directory of what's here; an introductory and welcoming site map that delineates everything in one place.

I can't remember exactly the process when I joined, but probably it was finalized with one final click; I think when that final click is clicked, a directory should appear and also the rules and also a warm encouraging statement inviting participation, and maybe explaining Photoforum's purpose and mission.

If these things already exist and I didn't notice them, then I think they should be brought more to the forefront because I'm pretty good at noticing things and I didn't notice them.

I'm willing to put some effort into this- I think this is a great place and would like to be able to contribute to improvement.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Bill, I read this last night and woke up this morning with this on my mind. Comments and positive suggestions from active forum participants such as you are important.

As a member who has participated for about a year and a half, I probably take a lot for granted and possibly forget what it's like to be brand new.

I think I use the "Home" section as the directory or area listing the various themes, threads, guidelines, etc. But I will certainly agree there are lots of nooks and crannies that one can discover over a period of time.

Your suggestion for a "warm encouraging statement explaining the forum's purpose and mission" is a good one and one that perhaps should be looked into.

Thanks for the suggestion. And, thanks for being such an active forum participant!

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I agree Sue nice to get feedback like this and nice to see members contributing too - the two way process is what makes a good forum, and the way we all learn and grow

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I've seen some forums, mostly automotive type, (don't know about this software) offer an "Outline type" display... would that work on the home page, or is there security risks with this type? Just thinking with my fingers...
    But with all the topics...the start page would be 50 pages long.....????
    Rob
    Nikon D300 & D70 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Nikon 18-70mm | Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300mm VR
    Olympus EVOLT E-500 | Zuiko 14-45mm | Zuiko 40-150mm | OM - 4/3 adapter | Assorted OM lenses
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks, Sue, George, and Rob. I'll try to rough out some ideas. Rob, I know what you mean. What's in my mind is a welcoming introduction; it wouldn't be necessary to read and sign off on it but handy to have if needed. I can see how Photoforum could be sort of daunting for new members and maybe especially new photographers, even though very valuable, so my intent is to try to facilitate participation.

I'd wanted to get on this kind of right away but I've just had a personal back-burner issue moved to a front burner and the heat turned way up- so it's going to be a few days...

I'm happy for the positive response; I hope I can work up something worthy.

If anyone has any further thoughts or ideas about this, please don't hesitate!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Well, this is a rough of my concept of an introduction- this is pretty much what I would like to read when I join. I'd really like to have any edits and thoughts about it. My idea is that this would be a pop-up when the final click to join is done.

Welcome to Photoforum! Try to take some time to look at each of the sub-forums and topics so you can become oriented here and join in everywhere you want to. Your pictures and comments are valuable.

Please do post your pictures and comments in any or all of our many sub-forums. Our membership ranges from beginners new to photographing to experienced photographers, all with at least one thing in common- we love to look at and talk about pictures.

Scroll down to "Casual Chat", to "Introduce Yourself", and say hi, if you want to; we'd like very much to hear from you.

Join in the Weekly Theme and Photoforum Challenge to help focus your photographic eye and sharpen your photographic thinking. Photographers mostly like to take pictures, but sometimes don't know what to take pictures of- if that happens with you, try using any of the many pictures posted as a starting point for your own pictures.

Try to read and look back through past posts. No post is dead here; when you find a previous post you want to comment about, do it- it's fun to see a past post brought back to the present.

Please do feel at home and spend as much time as you want to here.

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Good suggestion. Thank you, Bill!
    Admin

Hub

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Nice Bill,

I'd like to add one more suggestion for "up front" information. It's the work and words of the current forum members that ultimately attract new members.

It would be nice to have a "Best of Photofourm" section that prospective and new members could easily find to showcase the diversity of interests as well as the enormous and creative photographic talent contained within Photoforum.com. Certainly would arouse the interests of serious amateurs and pros.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Admin

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Well, this is a rough of my concept of an introduction- this is pretty much what I would like to read when I join. I'd really like to have any edits and thoughts about it. My idea is that this would be a pop-up when the final click to join is done.

Welcome to Photoforum! Try to take some time to look at each of the sub-forums and topics so you can become oriented here and join in everywhere you want to. Your pictures and comments are valuable.

Please do post your pictures and comments in any or all of our many sub-forums. Our membership ranges from beginners new to photographing to experienced photographers, all with at least one thing in common- we love to look at and talk about pictures.

Scroll down to "Casual Chat", to "Introduce Yourself", and say hi, if you want to; we'd like very much to hear from you.

Join in the Weekly Theme and Photoforum Challenge to help focus your photographic eye and sharpen your photographic thinking. Photographers mostly like to take pictures, but sometimes don't know what to take pictures of- if that happens with you, try using any of the many pictures posted as a starting point for your own pictures.

Try to read and look back through past posts. No post is dead here; when you find a previous post you want to comment about, do it- it's fun to see a past post brought back to the present.

Please do feel at home and spend as much time as you want to here.

Great suggestion, Bill.

•  
    Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links