A Photoforum directory

This is a discussion on A Photoforum directory within the Forum Help, Suggestions & Feedback forums, part of the FORUM INFORMATION DESK category; Great ideas, Bill! As Hub pointed out, some of them are not easy to implement. But we will definitely use your suggestions to make PhotoForum.com ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Great ideas, Bill! As Hub pointed out, some of them are not easy to implement. But we will definitely use your suggestions to make PhotoForum.com more user-friendly.
    Thank you!
    Again, MOD, my pleasure.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I'm coming into this discussion late (as usual), and it appears to be a mostly moderator-involved one, so forgive me if I am overstepping ...

I like your suggestions, Bill! The greeting idea is tops.

As I recall, it was a little difficult for me to learn to navigate the Forum -- but that was two years ago, and maybe things have changed? To be honest, I don't really know, because I depend almost exclusively on my handy-dandy navigation bar that PtchFork developed so long ago. Perhaps that isn't being promoted enough?

As for the "Best Of" suggestion, I am frankly ambivalent. IMHO, one of the best assets of PF is the almost total absence of competitiveness. I see competition as a positive element, SOMETIMES. I realize that it does motivate some people to perform and achieve, but for many beginners, it can be discouraging.

I also wonder who would be qualified to determine what is "best"?
    I would be disappointed to see this Forum go the way of so many others that rely on "votes" and "favorites". From what I have observed elsewhere, that generally turns things political, PDQ.

Just my 2 cents.

Arla
    "Images Of The Vanishing West"

www.GreatBasinLife.com

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The forum toolbar that ptchfork developed can be found here if anyone is interested.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Yeah! That's what I was talking about. Thanks, Sue!
    (I was too lazy to go look for it myself. )

www.GreatBasinLife.com

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I'm coming into this discussion late (as usual), and it appears to be a mostly moderator-involved one, so forgive me if I am overstepping ...

I like your suggestions, Bill! The greeting idea is tops.

As I recall, it was a little difficult for me to learn to navigate the Forum -- but that was two years ago, and maybe things have changed? To be honest, I don't really know, because I depend almost exclusively on my handy-dandy navigation bar that PtchFork developed so long ago. Perhaps that isn't being promoted enough?

As for the "Best Of" suggestion, I am frankly ambivalent. IMHO, one of the best assets of PF is the almost total absence of competitiveness. I see competition as a positive element, SOMETIMES. I realize that it does motivate some people to perform and achieve, but for many beginners, it can be discouraging.

I also wonder who would be qualified to determine what is "best"?
    I would be disappointed to see this Forum go the way of so many others that rely on "votes" and "favorites". From what I have observed elsewhere, that generally turns things political, PDQ.

Just my 2 cents.

Arla
    Thanks, Arla!

2 cents? More like 2 Double Eagles... I've been thinking about this all day, and as much as I hate to say it, I agree with you- I can't see any way around it. I'd like to have a best of and showcasing, but I think it would work to erode the wonderful sense of community of Photoforum.

Thanks for bringing Ptchfork's nav bar forward- I think a link to it should be in the greeting.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks for the consideration, Bill!

After revisiting the thread on the toolbar -- which was good for a laugh down memory lane, at the discourse between me, Jen, and Brian -- I would suggest posting that in a more dignified setting, if you get me? For some reason, I was thinking that there used to be a direct link to the download ... somewhere?

As for "best of" -- at the end of the year, there was a Challenge thread where members were invited to post their best of the year. At that time, there was discussion about pinning that thread. I think the thing that made it so popular, was that each person was allowed to be their own critic, and to select their own "personal best" --- in the egalitarian tradition of the Forum.

What about a "My Best" --- of the month, or of the season?

I don't know whether that would be high maintenance, as far as some people being inclined to post more than their share --- perhaps it could be set up like the contest voting mechanism, which prevents duplicating post?

I'm up to a nickel, now. :P

www.GreatBasinLife.com

PHOTO EDITING OK
    As for "best of" -- at the end of the year, there was a Challenge thread where members were invited to post their best of the year. At that time, there was discussion about pinning that thread. I think the thing that made it so popular, was that each person was allowed to be their own critic, and to select their own "personal best" --- in the egalitarian tradition of the Forum.
    What about a "My Best" --- of the month, or of the season?

Season! What do think of the equinoxes and solstices?

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    It's me again

I was waiting for Admin to reply on the Solstice/Equinox issue, since obviously they have a better idea about scheduling. I don't really care about timing, and only casually wonder about the fact that solstices fall just after the start of voting on the contest. Don't know whether that would have any bearing, whatsoever.

Today, I signed up on yet another photo sharing site. As soon as I had jumped through all the hoops, I received an auto-generated welcome message by email:

"Hi Arla,

My name's _Xxxx_ , I'm writing to thank you for joining xxxx.
    On behalf of this vibrant creative community, welcome.

There a few ways to get started with xxxx:

Upload some of your creative work to
    Add your portrait, so others can get to know you on xxxx.
    Update your profile to tell people a little about yourself
    See answers to frequently asked questions.
    You don't have to contribute art to be a part of xxxx.: - browsing work and leaving comments is a great way to get to know the community.

xxxx. began because of our passion for art and creativity. We hope you'll love it here and want to share your creative output with others. If you have any comments or suggestions, you're welcome to email me directly to or post on the xxxx. forums.

Happy [posting],
    Each of the items in the list had a link to the pertinent section of the site.

I'm not suggesting an exact duplication of the form letter, but I can tell you that I liked receiving the message, even though it was not a personal one.

I also like that I can keep that message in my inbox, in case I need to refer back to it, sometime -- much handier than a one-time pop-up window.

Dime!

www.GreatBasinLife.com

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Arla,

We are going to implement the welcome message soon.

Good suggestion.
    Admin

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks, MOD.

www.GreatBasinLife.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links