A Photoforum directory

This is a discussion on A Photoforum directory within the Forum Help, Suggestions & Feedback forums, part of the FORUM INFORMATION DESK category; Good suggestion. Thank you, Bill! Thank you, MOD. My pleasure Nice Bill, I'd like to add one more suggestion for "up front" information. It's the ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Good suggestion. Thank you, Bill!
    Thank you, MOD. My pleasure
    Nice Bill,

I'd like to add one more suggestion for "up front" information. It's the work and words of the current forum members that ultimately attract new members.

It would be nice to have a "Best of Photofourm" section that prospective and new members could easily find to showcase the diversity of interests as well as the enormous and creative photographic talent contained within Photoforum.com. Certainly would arouse the interests of serious amateurs and pros.

Hub
    Good idea, Hub. All that's necessary are direct links to all of your and my posts :P But seriously, that's abig order- would mean going back through years... Maybe it would be best to make it an ongoing project, with full membership nominating and the Moderators choosing to get it started.

Great suggestion, Bill.
    Thank you, Sue.

Hub

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Bill,

You're right it could be a big job. But, then again, most newcomers and newcomers-to-be have no idea about the depth of the Photoforum archives. So you could just start with the past year or so -- maybe use the monthly contest winners as a starting point. It would be an on-going, living and changing marketing archive. It doesn't have to start out with all great Photoforum images -- just a sampling. I suggest a limit for this showcase gallery, say 50 images, and change the selections on a regular schedule (i.e. quarterly).

Just a thought.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    While on the subject of suggestions - can I mention pinned threads. There are subjects that get asked over and over such as best tripods or best printing service. If some of these areas that get ansered over and over would get pinned and if the newcomer was directed to the pinned thread it might be helpful.

I'm not proposing that someone go back and try to pin old threads but rather that we pick subjects that should be pinned and start adding to them.

Just a thought.
    John B

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Bill,

You're right it could be a big job. But, then again, most newcomers and newcomers-to-be have no idea about the depth of the Photoforum archives. So you could just start with the past year or so -- maybe use the monthly contest winners as a starting point. It would be an on-going, living and changing marketing archive. It doesn't have to start out with all great Photoforum images -- just a sampling. I suggest a limit for this showcase gallery, say 50 images, and change the selections on a regular schedule (i.e. quarterly).

Just a thought.

Hub
    I believe you're right, they don't; but I think they and everyone should... going back into the archives can be a treat. To be honest, some of the contest winners aren't necessarily the best of Photoforum, and they're already organized and available; but I do think it would be good to make note of them in the introduction- thanks for the thought, it's a good one.

I agree with a quarterly-changing showcase (how about the equinoxes and solstices- that timing could generate more pictures and could be a fairly unique facet of Photoforum) but I think that showcase could be a part of a larger Best of Photoforum. Let me scratch my head for a while.

You've got great ideas, Hub. Thanks and keep 'em coming.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    While on the subject of suggestions - can I mention pinned threads. There are subjects that get asked over and over such as best tripods or best printing service. If some of these areas that get ansered over and over would get pinned and if the newcomer was directed to the pinned thread it might be helpful.

I'm not proposing that someone go back and try to pin old threads but rather that we pick subjects that should be pinned and start adding to them.

Just a thought.
    Excellent point, John, and good idea. And I'll figure a way to put that into the proposed introduction. Thank you for your thoughtful input.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Some very good and worthwhile suggestions, nice to see ''our'' community in such good hands!

Peter
    Canon 40D, 30D, 70-200 L, 100 Macro, 75-300, 24-85 & 50 1.8

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Taking a lead from the camera store thread in Casual Chat, I think it might be a good idea to put important links where they stand out- in the mast. I know space is a major consideration but I think that would work the best. The logged-in part now on the right could still be there; I think now most people have monitors wide enough to see everything without scrolling. This would simplify and should reduce the amount of words necessary in an introduction. A one- or two- sentence explanation of each link could be in the introduction. Is this do-able?

Also, a link to "Pinned threads" could be added which, when clicked, would open to a clickable listing of all Pinned threads, with explanation if necessary.

Hub

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Bill,

I know Photoforum is a "labor of love" for MOD. But I'm not sure he gets to read every single post. You might want to consider dropping him a PM to see if he's aware of these suggestions. There are lots of good thoughts here that he would probably like to read.

Also (not 100% sure I'm right) I believe this forum structure is a fixed template. So, I'm not certain how much flexibility he has in some design elements. There may be a limit to what can be done even if MOD is excited about a specific idea. Just things to think about.

I didn't see a link to Hub. (just kidding)

All this brainstorming has to be good. It certainly is creative.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks for your response, Hub.

Well, to tell you the truth, I have a feeling he might have a priority on "Site Suggestions & Feedback"; if this were my creation, I think I would.

Um, I haven't gotten a whole picture yet; when I do, rest assured I will make a (formal) proposal presentation to MOD. I might be wrong, but I believe he has given more than tacit approval to thoughts of Photoforum enhancement. Somehow it seems to me that the structure of Photoforum is kind of like the US Constitution- basically sound but there's nothing wrong with a few amendments; insofar as that, If MOD is like-minded, then maybe we can make this great place even better.

What I'm doing now is sketching and hoping for thoughts about whether my ideas are worthwhile and should work positively. With or without others' thoughts, I'll continue sketching until I get what I feel is a good picture. If anyone - certainly including MOD! - has feedback, I will throw it in the hopper and see what I can grind out.

I remember enough of the capabilities of HTML to know that what I'm allowing myself to introduce can be done... and it's certainly possible that trade-off time will (inevitably, as it tends to seem to happen) rear its' head.

What I most want to know while I'm sketching this is if people feel that what I'm proposing would be :

1. Effective.

2. A positive enhancement.

3. A positive force toward securing new and current members.

4. Probably producing more income for Photoforum.

5. Making Photoforum more usuable.

Sorry for any stiffness in my language here- that's just kind of the way I think about things like this.
    Bill,

I know Photoforum is a "labor of love" for MOD. But I'm not sure he gets to read every single post. You might want to consider dropping him a PM to see if he's aware of these suggestions. There are lots of good thoughts here that he would probably like to read.

Also (not 100% sure I'm right) I believe this forum structure is a fixed template. So, I'm not certain how much flexibility he has in some design elements. There may be a limit to what can be done even if MOD is excited about a specific idea. Just things to think about.

I didn't see a link to Hub. (just kidding)

All this brainstorming has to be good. It certainly is creative.

Hub

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Great ideas, Bill! As Hub pointed out, some of them are not easy to implement. But we will definitely use your suggestions to make PhotoForum.com more user-friendly.
    Thank you!
    Admin

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links