Too much flash?

This is a discussion on Too much flash? within the Flash forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Hi all, First time post here! I have a hard time getting good pics inside my house. I bought a Nikon SB-700 to use with ...

Thread: Too much flash?

PHOTO EDITING OK

Too much flash?

Hi all,
    First time post here!

I have a hard time getting good pics inside my house. I bought a Nikon SB-700 to use with my D7100. It's a great flash but now I think I'm overexposing my pics. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My suggestion is dont do it.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    My suggestion is dont do it.
    Don't use a flash at all? Could you elaborate? My house just seems to be so dark inside even during the day for a good shot.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    are you bouncing the flash off the ceiling?
    try dialing down the power a bit.

This is an odd post. If your house is too dark to take photos without a flash, and when you do use a flash and find your photos are overexposed, then as pixmedic says adjust your flash or your camera settings until your exposure is the way YOU want it. That goes for every time you use your camera. Make sure your exposure is correct then shoot away. Thats why I say this is an odd post. And thats why my first comment just said not to overexposure your shots.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by pixmedic View Post
    are you bouncing the flash off the ceiling?
    try dialing down the power a bit.
    Yes I have it pointed all the way up towards the ceiling. I wasn't sure if I could dial the power down. I'll have to look into that thanks.

This is an odd post. If your house is too dark to take photos without a flash, and when you do use a flash and find your photos are overexposed, then as pixmedic says adjust your flash or your camera settings until your exposure is the way YOU want it. That goes for every time you use your camera. Make sure your exposure is correct then shoot away. Thats why I say this is an odd post. And thats why my first comment just said not to overexposure your shots.
    My apologies. I'm a beginner just trying to figure this stuff out. The flash is a bit complicated for me right now. I didn't realize I could adjust the flash. I'll try and adjust the exposure on the camera and see if that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Flash is diminishing the cuteness of the kid which is what I felt. So try using no flash which will get you better pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Roshni View Post
    Flash is diminishing the cuteness of the kid which is what I felt. So try using no flash which will get you better pictures.
    I dont know what he smokes but thats goofy advice. Obviously if inside light is insufficient to give a good exposure with a shutter speed fast enough to stop the childs movements, then flash is necessary. If you couldnt control the amount of light from the flash then put something over the flash lens to soften the light. White plastic bags, or tissue paper. Add layers until you get the light to the softeness that gives you a well exposed image. Here is your image that I just gave it some exposure control in Photoshop. Then I applied Unsharp Mask. Looks fine to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I dont know what he smokes but thats goofy advice. Obviously if inside light is insufficient to give a good exposure with a shutter speed fast enough to stop the childs movements, then flash is necessary. If you couldnt control the amount of light from the flash then put something over the flash lens to soften the light. White plastic bags, or tissue paper. Add layers until you get the light to the softeness that gives you a well exposed image. Here is your image that I just gave it some exposure control in Photoshop. Then I applied Unsharp Mask. Looks fine to me.
    That does look better!
    I didn't realize I could change the EV on the flash. I've been trying that and adding diffuser which seems to reduce the light a bit too. I'll keep playing around. I guess my problem is I've been mainly shooting in auto mode and for whatever reason the camera and flash are calculating too much light. I'm going to try and get better at setting values myself to see if I can dial in closer.

My first bit of advice is to never just auto mode. You dont learn much doing that. When you are in charge of your camera you are responsible for how each image is exposed. Thats when you learn what is going on. Im not sure but I think if you take a shot the way you have been doing it and the image is over exposed then you can change the EV value to a minus value telling the camera you want things to be darker.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links