multiple flashes with external flash

This is a discussion on multiple flashes with external flash within the Flash forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Hi, I love long exposures and I would like to try to take a picture in the dark, with a long exposure (let's say 20 ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TCampbell

Thread: multiple flashes with external flash

PHOTO EDITING OK

multiple flashes with external flash

Hi,
    I love long exposures and I would like to try to take a picture in the dark, with a long exposure (let's say 20 seconds) and to shoot the flash 2 or 3 times. I would like to do it with a handheld flash that I'd trigger manually and that is not connected to my camera.
    do these flashes even exist? (I own a panasonic dmc-fz100)
    How can I achieve it otherwise? (I tried it yesterday, and used my old point and shoot as an external flash during the exposure)
    thanks

R0B
    Equipment
    Sony A77 + grip, Sony A200 + grip, Sony 16-50mm f/2.8, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Nearly all flashguns have a test button, which fires at your desired power output, you can just use that
    500px.com/robellis
    http://facebook.com/robellisphotography

Sony A77, A200, Grips for both, 16-50 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-70 f/3.5-5.6, 70-210 f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.

NME Under 21's music photographer of the year runner up.

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    There are many ways to do this.

As Rob points out, nearly every external flash provides a way for you to force the flash to fire - but the flash will fire at either full-power or whatever manual power level you've configured (for most flashes, you can reduce the relative power output to some fraction of full-power).

Some higher-end flashes have a "multi-strobic" mode which might be just what you're after. In this mode you configure the flash to fire at some frequency (in hertz) for some quantity of pulses, and at some power level (e.g. fire at 10 Hz (how many flashes per second) for some quantity (say 20), at some power level (say 1/8th power). 20 pulses at 10 pulses per second means the flash will strobe for 2 seconds. You then set your camera to keep the shutter open for the full 2 seconds while the flash continually fires. If you were to take a photo of, say, an athlete serving a tennis ball (in a dark room) then you'd see the athlete, tennis racquet, and ball in the various positions (all in just 1 frame) as the action happens. The nice thing about multi-strobic mode is that the pulses are very regular and can be programmed to be very rapid (far faster than you could manually fire the flash.) With that said... I own a couple of Canon flashes and only the highest end unit has this mode. The model just 1 notch down in the flash line-up does not have the feature.

A third way is to just use a flashlight / torch in a very dark place and, with the camera shutter open, just "paint in" whatever you want to reveal in your photo by sweeping the beam of light across the object.
    Mindcrime121 likes this.
    Tim Campbell

PHOTO EDITING OK
    thank you very much guys

PHOTO EDITING OK
    also, I was thinking about trying this indoors and when I get to do it properly to try something different. if I put the subject close to the camera and with a nice large skyline in the background with lights and everything (Manhattan at night will be the scenery). let's say the tennis player you mentioned. I assume that the background will be nice and clear and the tennis player will still show the movements, right? in other words only the player should be affected by the flash.

Do you think it might work?

lastly, at least for now I'd like to try inexpensive solutions for this experiment. I assume the strongest the light beam from the flashlight, the better, right? and what would you recommend, keep the flashlight still and turning it on and off quickly and at regular intervals, or to keep it on and to move it from the floor and out of the image to on the subject and back?

thank you

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Light painting and popping flashes multiple times during long exposures will definately turn into a trial and error affair. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't turn out the way you envisioned on the first attempt.

I compare light painting with a flash light to using the paint brush in photoshop. Think of the scene your shooting during the long exposure as a layer your painting on in photoshop. You can vary the "flow" or "opacity" of your light beam by getting closer to or further away from the object your painting (but obviously, the farther away you get, the more spill your going to have). Point your flashlight at the area you want to paint. Turn the flashlight on. Paint to taste. Turn flash light off. Rinse and repeat to your hearts desire as long as the shutter is open.

Check your results and adjust accordingly.

Search "lightpainting" on youtube and you could probably find some decent visual tutorials on the subject.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links