Shutter/Flash Synchonization

This is a discussion on Shutter/Flash Synchonization within the Flash forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I thought this was an excellent explanation: Shuuter/Flash Synchonization...

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I thought this was an excellent explanation:

Shuuter/Flash Synchonization

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Nice vid grandpa!!!!!
    A while back i posted some pics of using a g12 to defeat the x snyc

here's one of the shots
    That's mid day sun behind the cloud just using the on board flash 1250th of a second normally that would require a studio head with a bunch of power and several stop nd filter with a slr

IMG_0536-1024 by sdulbs, on Flickr
    Get OUT and SHOOT Y'ALL...........Sitting at the 'puter don't make better photos!!!!!!

Some of my crappy photography on FLICKR

PHOTO EDITING OK
    .. Wow!, hey' thanks Dane, that's kinda just what I'v been looking for.
    About a month ago I picked up "Two" D70's 's at a pawn shop for 120. buck's!
    Both have just over 20,ooo' shutter actuation's but seem to work just fine.
    I just found out last week that the old D70's had twice the Flash sync speed than
    the D80' & D90*, 1/500', as opposed to !/250', (if I'm not mistaken?)
    This might be helpful with my sb800 for some situation's such as Smoke Photography
    which I would like to try someday soon.
    This neat little tutorial give's me a better understanding of what's going on.
    Think I'll download it right now & dig it again*

~ Don ~
    "Donalds Camera" (Nikon user) *
    ~ Take a picture, .. it'll last longer ~

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhead View Post
    That's mid day sun behind the cloud just using the on board flash 1250th of a second normally that would require a studio head with a bunch of power and several stop nd filter with a slr
    Besides the amount of power and degree of control on a studio strobe, is there a significant difference in light level drop over time?
    I can understand why continuous light might make a difference but not much if it is still a strobe (impulsive) light.

Paolo

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverDriver View Post
    Besides the amount of power and degree of control on a studio strobe, is there a significant difference in light level drop over time?
    I can understand why continuous light might make a difference but not much if it is still a strobe (impulsive) light.

Paolo

If you must meet the x-sync speed say 250th you must use small aperture or nd filters that also cut the light from the flash strobe etc. In essence if you stop down the ambient a stop you need an extra stop from your light in order to tame the ambient.

So that said the with out the shutter speed restriction you lights are not stopped down so full light is available from the small flash. A studio strobe of any size would likely be too much power in normal working distance
    Get OUT and SHOOT Y'ALL...........Sitting at the 'puter don't make better photos!!!!!!

Some of my crappy photography on FLICKR

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Aha! I was concentrating my attention to the sync and not to the obvious issue of amount of light available from a strobe vs sun. Thanks!

Paolo

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Great find!

My old AE-1's shutter runs left-right (instead of top-bottom) and I've tried to explain the concept of the 2nd curtain "chasing" the first (leaving just a narrow gap between them) and why using the shutter sync speed is important. On the AE-1 the shutter speed dial was combined with the winding lever and it was pretty easy to accidentally change the shutter speed when winding the camera between shots (problem Canon would fix in later models) but it would leave a narrow "correctly" exposed slot on the negative and under-exposed everywhere else (very frustrating.)

Tim Campbell

Equipment
    Canon EF, 20D
    PHOTO EDITING OK

Wink

Nice vid grandpa!!!!!
    A while back i posted some pics of using a g12 to defeat the x snyc

here's one of the shots

IMG_0536-1024 by sdulbs, on Flickr
    so cool effect!!!!!
    Xiu Xiu Chong

Canon 20D, EF Lens, Fisheye, Canon Flash, 24-70mm

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links