Need Flash Recommendation

This is a discussion on Need Flash Recommendation within the Flash forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I just bought a Nikon D1x and need to purchase a flash. I am a novice and am not sure how far I'm going to ...

I just bought a Nikon D1x and need to purchase a flash. I am a novice and am not sure how far I'm going to go with photography. I want a digital flash that will sync with my camera and do a decent job without breaking the bank. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Did i post in the right place? My book shows to use a SB-28x or sb-50dx so guess that's what I will start searching for unless anyone knows of another brand that is compatible. Thanks!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Not sure what kind of camera that is. Im guessing its a p&s but if its a dslr I use a Nikon SB-600 which is about 250.00

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The Metz 48 AF-1 is cheaper and more powerful than the first party flashes. Only bad thing about ti is that it doesn't come with a bag or case.
    David Ngo
    Olympus C7070WZ + Metz 48 AF-1 + Photoshop CS2

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I noticed the response is not that encouraging but thought I should still give it a try. I am also thinking of purchasing a flash gun and I am using a DSLR camera. When I stated to search the web, there are so many types of flashes. 4/3 and stufff like that is very difficult to understand.

Basic question. Most DSLR would have eTTL or iTTL feature. How important to get flash with such provision? If the answer to flash is just too complicated, is there a link for novice like us to read about them?

Can somebody help?

Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I believe that is an older Nikon DSLR. There are many flash units that will work with that camera. The current crop of Nikon cameras use the SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900 series of flash units. The cheapest of these is the 600 at around $250. The SB-900 is $460, so they can get expensive. However, those flash units, if they work with that camera, may only work in manual mode (I'm honestly not sure).

I am not sure if the D1x uses the Nikon CLS system, but that is their current TTL system, which is quite good. However, whatever TTL system it uses will be compatible with the SB-28x or sb-50dx that you mentioned. I'm sure you can find them either on eBay (yuch) or used at Adorama or B&H Photo. The people at Adorama or B&H will be very knowledgeable about this- give them a call.

There may also be 3rd party flash units that are compatible with the D1x. Certainly many will work in manual mode.

Even with the excellent, advanced, CLS system, often times photographers will turn off the TTL and opt to adjust things manually. This is not difficult to learn and is really only scary the first time you do it- until you see the great results you'll get and then you will be hooked.

A great place to learn, although it may be a bit convoluted to read, is The Strobist website (http://strobist.blogspot.com) - Click on the Lighting 101 link and read through the many articles there. The site is run by David Hobby who is the defacto standard teacher when it comes to manual small flash. If you read all the articles and don't learn anything, sell the camera. ;-) He recently was on tour with Joe McNally who is the automatic-TTL guy. I saw them in NY and can vouch for their teaching ability! It really isn't that hard to learn either manual or TTL flash.

Let us know how you make out.

Regards,
    Marlo

Check out my blog! --- http://marlomontanaro.wordpress.com

Equipment
    Canon 6D | Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II | Canon EF 35 f/1.4 L II | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L II | Canon 16-35 f4 L IS
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    The new Yonguno flashes work very good, at a good price. You can get 3 instead of one SB...

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links