Testing out a Bounce Card I made..

This is a discussion on Testing out a Bounce Card I made.. within the Flash forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I really like this tip, description, and execution! Thank you very much! Agreed. I plan on getting an sb-600 so this will be very helpful ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shpongled
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I really like this tip, description, and execution! Thank you very much!
    Agreed. I plan on getting an sb-600 so this will be very helpful to me. Thank you!
    ------------------------
    Nikon D200
    Tamron 17-50mm VC
    Sigma 10-20mm
    SB-600 + Gary Fong Lightsphere
    Phottix Plato Wireless Remote

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks!

In my earlier posts, I mentioned adding a black vertical strip down the center of the white foam
    to reduce the flash from bouncing directly onto the subject.

In my test shots (at the end of page 1), it worked well.
    But in the real world, the direct bounce wasn't as bad.

So I end up not using the black vertical strip more times then not.
    Just because it's a pain to remove, take off, remove, take off.
    Was easier to just leave it off, and just keep shooting.
    And the results from leaving it off, I was happy with.

Some "real world" examples using it:

The location I took those, the ceiling was too high to bounce.. so the only light was
    ambient + the bounce coming off the foam card. But it's better then direct flash from the speedlight.
    No hot spots, etc.

The shadows are still a bit harsh (seen in the 2nd shot, under his arm).
    But they're not completely pitch black (as they may be with direct flash). So that's good.
    Maybe next time if I make the white card a bit bigger to soften the flash more, they'll help..

I need to start using it more while out and about (I keep forgetting to grab it!).
    But when I do, it seems to work well. =D
    ----------------------------------------------------
    - - - - - - - Nikon D200 | SB-600 - - - - - - -
    - - - - - Nikkor 28-85mm | 50mm 1.8 - - - - -
    -- My deviantART
    -- My Photography Facebook

PHOTO EDITING OK
    pretty cool! does it work alot better having the flash twisted to the side like that?

PHOTO EDITING OK
    It works about the same, the same amount of flash bounces off the white foam.

But I have it turned sideways so that, it I needed to turn the camera sideways to take a portrait photo, all I'd have to do is bend the head of the flash to match it (so it's still pointed toward ceiling if I do ceiling bounce also).

Just easier to have it positioned like that instead of turning the camera then having to fiddle with the foam to get it right also. =)
    - - - - - - - Nikon D200 | SB-600 - - - - - - -
    - - - - - Nikkor 28-85mm | 50mm 1.8 - - - - -
    -- My deviantART
    -- My Photography Facebook

PHOTO EDITING OK
    ah that makes sense. good thinking

I really like how easy your version is to transport! I made a flash card out of cardboard paper and like you tried, velcro. Mine works really, really well. But I can't really transport it cuz it's so dang big and bulky! I put velcro straps on my flash. I found an interesting way to keep it on, I bought a role of that double sided, kind of padded tape, then I hot glued the velcro onto the tape, and then stuck the tape onto the flash. This keeps the flash from getting permanetly 'hot-glued' which I just hate the thought of doing, but keeps the velcro on super securely! Then I just hot glued the other velcro directly onto the paper, and tuh-duh! It stays on super well.

I would suggest a larger one made out of something like cardboard paper when you are trying to do portrait shots. And when you are just doing candid/casual shots you could use a smaller foam one (like the one built here) just because they are easier to have handy.
    D-40.

If writers make novels, not type writers. then photographers make photo's, not cameras.

Nice job. I own a Stofen Omnibounce, GF Lightsphere, a couple of mini-softboxes, etc... I've hardly used any of them in the last couple of years. My preference is the DIY hobby foam bouncer. I carry various size pieces of white and black, some stick on velcro strips, and rubber bands. Most of the time I just rubber band a 4"x6"ish piece of white on to a speedlight. I think it works just as good as all that expensive tupperware I bought, and it's a lot more compact. Even really large pieces can be folded up and pocketed.
    "I donít use an exposure meter. My personal advice is: Spend the money you would put into such an instrument for film. Buy yards of film, miles of it. Buy all the film you can get your hands on. And then experiment with it. That is the only way to be successful in photography. Test, try, experiment, feel your way along. It is the experience, not technique, which counts in camera work first of all. If you get the feel of photography, you can take fifteen pictures while one of your opponents is trying out his exposure meter." -Alfred Eisenstaedt

Very helpful

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links