Closeup filter

This is a discussion on Closeup filter within the Filters forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask the following questions: I am learning how to take macro shots and ...

Thread: Closeup filter

PHOTO EDITING OK

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right place to ask the following questions:

I am learning how to take macro shots and have started with Nikon 55 mm F 3.5 micro Ai'D lens on my Nikon D5000. Although I am able to take close up shots, I am facing 2 problems.

1) I cannot trigger my flash because the camera cannot detect the lens.
    2) I want the subject to be magnified further, I am not sure this lens I am using is consider 1:1 macro but can I use close up filter to improve on it?
    3) If yes, what should I use? close up +2 or +4?

I hope someone can assist with some guides. I am attaching one of the macro I took with the lens for illustration.

Thank you.

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    1 - absolutely no idea because i shoot canon.
    2 & 3 - yes you could get close up filters, but extension tubes are a better option and won't degrade your image quality. kenko makes a nice set of 3 for around $100USD, be sure to purchase the ones for your camera mount. filters have glass in them that can make your images soft, extension tubes are just hollow tubes mounted between the camera and lens, no glass means no image degradation.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by siodre View Post
    1 - absolutely no idea because i shoot canon.
    2 & 3 - yes you could get close up filters, but extension tubes are a better option and won't degrade your image quality. kenko makes a nice set of 3 for around 0USD, be sure to purchase the ones for your camera mount. filters have glass in them that can make your images soft, extension tubes are just hollow tubes mounted between the camera and lens, no glass means no image degradation.

Hi, thank you for your response. Do you happen to have any idea how this close-up filter works? My current lens working distance is already almost 12 cm from subject, if I add a close-up +4, would that mean I need to get too near or the distance can be maintained but the image magnified?

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Extension tubes fit between the camera body and the lens and allow a closer focusing distance.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    Extension tubes fit between the camera body and the lens and allow a closer focusing distance.

Yes, I am aware of that. However, I was advised that using standard lens with extension tube has its limitations. A macro lens would be the best option. I am just wondering if I add close-up filter to the macro lens, would it affect the focus distance?

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    if you have a magnifying glass at home put it in front of your lens and play around. it's the same effect as a close up filter. yes, it will affect the focusing distance. you'll have to be much closer to your subject to get it in focus. in other words, that fly you have in the photo will be gone before you get it in focus.

using an extension tube with any lens will limit your ability to focus to infinity. overall it's a much better way to go, with less limitations, than a close up filter.

As you add close up filters the dept of field decreases dramatically. Also when you add close up filters always go in decending order from largest number closest to the camera. Personally I have never noticed any softness due to close up filters.
    I wont shoot a wedding for any amount of money.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    You can use close-up filters on top of each other to further magnify your subject, or you can use a close up filter on a telephoto lens. I have used one on a 200mm telephoto with good sharpness. They can be difficult to use because the depth of field is extremely shallow which makes focusing quite a challenge. A tripod or a fast shutterspeed is an absolute necessity.

Cameron

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links