Hoya vs tiffen

This is a discussion on Hoya vs tiffen within the Filters forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Hey guys, just looking for filters right now. so far i have a Hoya Cir-PL filter in a blue/purple package(someone feel free to educate me ...

Thread: Hoya vs tiffen

Hey guys, just looking for filters right now. so far i have a Hoya Cir-PL filter in a blue/purple package(someone feel free to educate me on hoya label colors) i bought for my old Sony DSC-H3. i just got my T1i now and i want to get a UV filter. don't really need it for the UV but just for protection, but i still want a nice clear filter. i found a Hoya HMC UV-c filter on ebay for 16 bucks and a Tiffen UV haze and a Tiffen UV protector filter for 13-14 bucks each. I wan't to know which Filter would have the better glass. will post links up too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hoya-58mm-58-mm-UV-C-H...=item2eb3e1b592 HOYA HMC UV-c filte
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiffen-58MM-UV-HAZE-1-...10d6d"> Tiffen UV Haze-1 Filter
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Tiffen-58MM-UV-PROTECT...=item3cb5a3e988 Tiffen UV protector filter $10

P.S. I live in las vegas where there is smog and i like to take landscape pictures.
    Thanks for the help!
    -Paulo

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Possibly more than you wanted to know about UV filters... including reviews and comparisons:

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_fi...troduction.html

If you select the filter you can see the specific test results for it. Note the lower right corner of the graph which shows how much UV light gets through and how much visible light gets through.

The top filter (a Hoya) only allowed 0.2% of UV light to get through, while still allowing 97.1% of visible light to get through (only block 2.9%).
    The bottom filter (a Tiffen) still allowed 25.5% of UV light to get through, meanwhile it only allowed 88.3% of visible light (blocking 11.7%) -- probably not what you want.

On your list, I *think* the top filter you list is actually the same filter than ranked #1 (it's hard to be sure because the description is just slightly different.)
    The third filter on your list is definitely the same as their bottom ranked filter in the test.
    The did not test the 2nd filter on your list.
    Tim Campbell

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Great link, Tim. Thanks! Wow, what a shock- I'd always thought of Tiffen as a premium brand.

well went ahead and bought the Hoya UVŠ HMC for 18 bucks. i mean the real purpose i needed the filter was to protect the lens. I used my CPL for that but i would have to take it off indoors. I love it, it doesnt degrade the pictures and its geniune Hoya. I just kept the trend i had going with Hoya Filters. For around the same price my friend bought her Tri-star cheapo filters i bought much better ones.

Equipment
    Canon
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hoya is definitely the way to go, and they won't break the bank.

ipm
    Equipment
    various
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Tiffen are suppose to be great but really expensive, I don't use filters much now but used to be happy with the Hoya.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links