ND

This is a discussion on ND within the Filters forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I'm about to buy an ND. I need a 10-stop and saw that B+W makes a regular and a wide angle one. I was wondering, ...

Thread: ND

I'm about to buy an ND. I need a 10-stop and saw that B+W makes a regular and a wide angle one. I was wondering, if I get the wide angle one, can I then use it even when I use the zoom or would I get a lousy effect?
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    The difference is going to be that the wide angle will be thinner and have no female threads, meaning you can't mount another filter in front. I didn't see that as a limitation in my shooting, and went with the wide angle.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

thanks,
    so basically with the wide-angle I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone by using it both when I take a wide-angle picture and when I zoom in at the maximum, right?

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    there is no optical difference between the two filters, the only difference is the size of the filter, the wide angle rim is skinnier so that it doesn't cause vignetting in your photos.

if you already own a filter put it on your widest angle lens and put the lens on the widest focal length. then take a photo and see if there is an vignetting. if there's no vignetting then you can use a normal nd filter and save extra money. the only combination i need wide angle filters for is my 17-40mm and 5d mk ii. i didn't need the wide angle filter with the 17-40mm and the 40d which is a crop sensor camera.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks, Beth.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

thanks

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links