Sigma wide-angle / filter issue

This is a discussion on Sigma wide-angle / filter issue within the Filters forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I just purchased the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 lens, which has a filter size of 82mm. I ordered a B+W 82mm "Extra-Wide" UV filter, which in ...

I just purchased the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 lens, which has a filter size of 82mm.

I ordered a B+W 82mm "Extra-Wide" UV filter, which in turn has a front filter size of 95mm (yikes!!). Now, that UV filter seems rather thick, despite flaring out to the larger diameter.

And of course, the problem is, the darn lens hood won't work with that filter in place. (Much less the supplied lens cap, but that's cheap to remedy).

So, my question is, am I better off replacing the 82mm "Extra-Wide" filter (B+W company) with a regular 82mm "slim" (or regular) filter and being able to use the lens hood? Or is there a lens hood I can get to attach to front filter (but that can cause vignetting, I guess)

I don't know if I can return the filter to B&H, since I already opened it, or what, because I'd hate to be out all that money for one I can't use. Anyone know what they would do in a case like that?

And has anyone run into a similar problem with the newer ultra-wide lenses, and how did you solve it?

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    i had the sigma 10-20mm f/4.5-5.0 which had the 77mm lens thread (i don't think the 3.5 version was available at the time or i would have snatched that one up). if the quality of your lens is anything like the one i had (i'm actually thinking yours is better) then it is a wonderful piece of glass. i'd still have that lens if i hadn't upgraded the camera to full frame.

you could try to get a cokin p filter system, and some square lee or singh-ray filters to fit the holder, i believe there is also an optional lens hood that matches that filter system. i'm not sure of a threaded filter that will be thin enough to not cause vignetting. i rarely used a filter except for the occasional nd and grad nd filters and once or twice a cp for minimizing reflections.

i'm not sure if you can return it to b&h, but call or email their customer service and ask them. they're friendly enough not to bite. you can expect a restocking fee if they do take it back. if they don't, resell it on ebay.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links