Filter or not

This is a discussion on Filter or not within the Filters forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Hi this is my first post and i hope i got it right I am about to get a 50mm f1.2 and have a 28 ...

Thread: Filter or not

Hi this is my first post and i hope i got it right

I am about to get a 50mm f1.2 and have a 28 - 70 f2.8 lens i require some form of lens protection and the UV filter like the Hoya pro seems like a good idea but if shooting indoors or in low light situations my main resons for the 50mm lens then would a lens filter hinder getting as much light to the sensor as poss i have been told that these Canon lens have coatings so pointless getting UV filters or polarizers etc so any suggestions please.
    my camers is a canon 5D mk2
    Many Thanks

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Welcome to the forum!

A UV filter doesn't affect the amount of light coming into the sensor. In fact it doesn't change the picture at all. That's why people use UV filters to protect their lenses. It is much cheaper to replace a scratched filter than to replace a scratched lens. There is no lens coating that will protect your lens to the same degree a filter will.

Hope this helps,

Marie
    Nikon D5000, Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm VR f/3.5-5.6,
    Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6

I will have to disagree on this aspect as a filter could and has been known to indeed affect the amount of light and could cause unneeded reflections. This is specially true with the cheaper filters, if you feel the need of one get the best you can afford. Why put a cheap glass in front of your most expensive premium lens? I used to believe in the UV filters but honestly have found them to be unnecessary. The only one I use is a circular polarizer one when the situation calls for it. Im sure a lot will chime in with different opinions and views on the subject.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    First of all, virtually ALL lenses these days have optical coatings, not just Canon lenses. The coating is what makes them optical glass. Second of all, many filters have coatings as well.

The glass of a low quality, uncoated filter is like that of window. Ever notice how you can see your own reflection in a window? That's because not all of the light is able to pass through the glass. Only around 80% of the light is able to pass through plain glass. So using a low quality filter is like shooting through a window.

Compare that with your lens: can you see your own reflection in the glass of any lens? Looking, with your bare eye, into a high quality filter with the proper optical coatings, you should not be able to see your reflection, because close to 100% of the light passes through the filter, just as it would though the glass of any decent lens. And Hoya Pro filters are certainly extremely high quality filters with multiple coatings, and therefore you should not worry about the amount the light being affected at all.
    David Ngo
    Olympus C7070WZ + Metz 48 AF-1 + Photoshop CS2

R0B
    Equipment
    Sony A77 + grip, Sony A200 + grip, Sony 16-50mm f/2.8, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Just a side note, when plotted on an mtf chart, the 50mm 1.4 scores higher than the 1.2, so bear that in mind
    500px.com/robellis
    http://facebook.com/robellisphotography

Sony A77, A200, Grips for both, 16-50 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-70 f/3.5-5.6, 70-210 f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.

NME Under 21's music photographer of the year runner up.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by NDAv View Post
    The coating is what makes them optical glass.
    Um, to be blunt, no. Optical glass is specially formulated glass: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-optical-glass.htm

UV filters not only protect the lens coating but they're pretty handy if one has any desire to eliminate UV, which I believe a polarizer will not do. Polarizers also reduce light 2 to 4 stops.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    great info. Thanks to you all for the lesson.
    Only a rat can win a rat race!

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Every filter (indeed every bit of glass) affects the amount of light passed. A Hoya Super HMC Pro-1 filter passes 99.7% of light. If you're looking for that last 0.3% you have bigger issues than a filter to worry about.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links