Photo Experiment

This is a discussion on Photo Experiment within the Filters forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I did this as an experiment yesterday evening. There was a nice sunset going on, and since I was unable to get to a decent ...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I did this as an experiment yesterday evening. There was a nice sunset going on, and since I was unable to get to a decent location for landscape photos, I decided to experiment with on-camera filters and color in my backyard.

The following 4 photos are all of the same scene, taken as 4 seperate exposures, and processed to the same degree. I looked at each picture as it’s own entitiy, and processed them as individual images for high quality. The results are pretty interesting…

This first shot is “as-is”. I used no enhancing filters on the camera. The only filter in place was a protective UV filter, which is always on my camera…simply to protect the lens…it offers no enhancement or color value changes.

This second image uses an on-camera graduated warming filter. It is wine-colored at the top of the filter, and clear at the bottom. This filter increases depth of color, adds warmth, and increases depth of texture in the clouds.

This is an unfiltered monotone shot...

This final image uses an on-camera Graduated Neutral Density Filter and a monotone setting on the camera. This filter decreases the amount of light that enters the top half of the lens. Like the Graduated Warming Filter, the bottom half of the filter is clear. As you can see, this greatly increases the depth and texture to the clouds. The monotone setting eliminates color, obviously, and the GND filter decreases the exposure value for the top half of the image, which creates a tremendous amount of depth and texture to the sky and clouds.

In essence, the on-camera flters took an already pretty sunset, and gave me the ability to “transform” the sunset into a deeper, richer, and more aesthetically pleasing photo.

I hope to be doing a few more of these experiements with on-camera filters in the future. I want to get a few more filters, of different varieties, and compare images to see for myself, just how they can help to improve my images.

Thanks for taking the time to look, and as always…comments, critiques and opinions are always apperciated
    Interrupted Thought Process
    East Side Photography @ Flickr

Mother Nature is the artist. I just capture the memories.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    This was all very interesting. It would be even more interesting, in my opinion, to compare these results to the results gained from using an actual filter.

Also, what camera are you using? comparing these results with the on-board filters in a different camera would also be interesting.
    Acid Recruit (Adam)
    [Nikon D60 | Nikon 18-55mm | Nikon 70-300mm]

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    This was all very interesting. It would be even more interesting, in my opinion, to compare these results to the results gained from using an actual filter.

Also, what camera are you using? comparing these results with the on-board filters in a different camera would also be interesting.
    You misunderstood..or I mis-spoke...either way...

The filters used were actual filters that you put on the camera. "On-camera", not "in camera". Perhaps I stated it wrong, but these are filters that screw onto the end of the lens, not digital filters built into the camera. The same type of glass filters that have been around for the past several decades...

And I use an Olympus E-520...
    Interrupted Thought Process
    East Side Photography @ Flickr

Mother Nature is the artist. I just capture the memories.

PHOTO EDITING OK

You misunderstood..or I mis-spoke...either way...

The filters used were actual filters that you put on the camera. "On-camera", not "in camera". Perhaps I stated it wrong, but these are filters that screw onto the end of the lens, not digital filters built into the camera. The same type of glass filters that have been around for the past several decades...

And I use an Olympus E-520...
    [/quote]

No, you were fine. I misunderstood. I was in the middle of a class and only had a short time to read.

Anyway, let me rephrase my point. It would be interesting to compare these results to "onboard" or programmed filters.
    Acid Recruit (Adam)
    [Nikon D60 | Nikon 18-55mm | Nikon 70-300mm]

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Nice...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Once in a while I think about what might happen whether I tried different things with natively constructed focal points and unexplored photographic creating forms. I use to examination increasingly when I utilized film and now wind up accomplishing more computerized darkroom work in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. I appreciate taking a stab at something that conceivably nobody else has attempted... wandering into unfamiliar photographic boondocks.

An awesome aspect regarding photography is that you can simply think of new and energizing approaches to explore different avenues regarding camera rigging to curve light. I will utilize this page as an arrival cushion for future thoughts and will post some key photographs from those shoot and attempt clarify what I've done. Ideally a portion of the pictures will rouse others to have a go at something new with their own particular photography.

Equipment
    Canon stuff
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I like the colour pics as they better highlight the sky.

Equipment
    Canon
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    This pic should be worth of a million because of background sky color.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links