Skylight or UV filter?

This is a discussion on Skylight or UV filter? within the Filters forums, part of the Photography Tips category; hey guys im new to photography i need some help here what filter should i buy for protection and for portrait use? which one do ...

View Poll Results: Skylight vs Filter

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Skylight Filter

1 20.00%
  • UV Filter

4 80.00%

hey guys im new to photography
    i need some help here
    what filter should i buy for protection and for portrait use?
    which one do you really prefer?
    my mac is not yet calibrated so there's a chance that the color of my photo may look rubbish on your monitor

worng place
    sorry how can i delete this thread?
    my mac is not yet calibrated so there's a chance that the color of my photo may look rubbish on your monitor

Full-Time
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    They're both basically the same thing.

But whichever one ou et, make sure it's a good brand. Cheaper ones can have imperfectionas and/or add a colour cast to your images.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    They are mainly used as protection for your lens. I always have a UV filter on my lenses. That way if you scratch the filter, big deal.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by smckeag81 View Post
    They are mainly used as protection for your lens. I always have a UV filter on my lenses. That way if you scratch the filter, big deal.
    Filters are fragile pieces of glass, and can break easily. Shards of broken glass will do a good job of scratching your lens.

A lens cap is the best protection.
    My photo blog
    I use a Canon EOS 40D + various lenses.

A skylight filter is a UV filter with a hint of warmth.

I never use either.

"I donít use an exposure meter. My personal advice is: Spend the money you would put into such an instrument for film. Buy yards of film, miles of it. Buy all the film you can get your hands on. And then experiment with it. That is the only way to be successful in photography. Test, try, experiment, feel your way along. It is the experience, not technique, which counts in camera work first of all. If you get the feel of photography, you can take fifteen pictures while one of your opponents is trying out his exposure meter." -Alfred Eisenstaedt

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Photomage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by smckeag81 View Post
    Filters are fragile pieces of glass, and can break easily. Shards of broken glass will do a good job of scratching your lens.

A lens cap is the best protection.
    Filters don't prevent the use of lens caps. And a lens cap probably isn't as protective as a filter when the camera is in use.

I think if some force is strong enough to shatter a filter to pieces, chances are that same force would also do a good job of scratching the lens even if the filter isn't there.

Personally, in six years since I bought my first camera, I've never had filter shatter on me. But then again, I've never scratched a filter either... I use a fixed lens camera so I am cautious. If it was an interchangeable lens, I probably wouldn't bother with extra protection, especially if it is a cheap lense with a large thread.

If you use any filter, make sure it is high quality and multiple-coated.

David Ngo
    Olympus C7070WZ + Metz 48 AF-1 + Photoshop CS2

heathersphotos.com
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I had a polarizer filter I loved to make colors more vibrant but it's true, your photos won't be as clear as they could be without it. I haven't been using them anymore. I'd say though if you really do want one go with the regular UV.

http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...um/banner7.jpg
    "You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it." ~Author Unknown
    Vintage SLR's

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Filters are more about protecting the lens coating than the lens itself. The lens coating is soft and can get scratched and eroded easily; a filter's hardened glass is virtually impervious to things like dust flying in the air that can damage the coating. Unless one is extremely careful, even cleaning the lens - and therefore coming into direct contact with the coating - can damage the coating, whereas cleaning the protective filter has far less risk.

A lens cap actually is the second best protection; the best protection is a camera bag. Hm, actually, the best protection would be a 16-inch-thick steel box. The problem with all of these options is that it's fairly difficult to take a picture when they're in place.

Um, Henry, shards of broken glass?? Are you a war correspondent?

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links