My choice for the #3 must have filter.

This is a discussion on My choice for the #3 must have filter. within the Filters forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Light is basic to photography. But what if there is TOO MUCH light? Almost all cameras have the facility to open wider, or shoot slower, ...

Light is basic to photography. But what if there is TOO MUCH light?

Almost all cameras have the facility to open wider, or shoot slower, to capture more light.

But sometimes, on those blazing summer days, or VERY BRIGHT snow covered scenes, there is WAY TOO MUCH light! And, though you may be able to compensate and avoid over exposure, you lose a lot of choices in selecting depth of field and shutter speed.

I don't know the math in f-stops, but I do know that a neutral density filter will subdue the light enough to give you back those choices and put you in control again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panasonic LZ5, and now Panasonic FZ50.
    I have been doing mostly hot rod car shows but recently got the nature bug (bad pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by knestle View Post
    I don't know the math in f-stops...
    A stop is a halving or doubling of the light, so a 2 stop ND is a x4 (2x2), a 3 stop ND is a x8 (2x2x2), a 4 stop ND is a x16 (2x2x2x2), etc...

"I donít use an exposure meter. My personal advice is: Spend the money you would put into such an instrument for film. Buy yards of film, miles of it. Buy all the film you can get your hands on. And then experiment with it. That is the only way to be successful in photography. Test, try, experiment, feel your way along. It is the experience, not technique, which counts in camera work first of all. If you get the feel of photography, you can take fifteen pictures while one of your opponents is trying out his exposure meter." -Alfred Eisenstaedt

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links