canon ae-1 prog problem

This is a discussion on canon ae-1 prog problem within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; i have a canon ae-1 prog that ive been using for about 6 months now with now problems until now. i was using it today ...

i have a canon ae-1 prog that ive been using for about 6 months now with now problems until now. i was using it today when the shutter just stopped working. any idea why this would happen, and if/how it would be fixed?
    and its wound all the way, the mirror is all the way down, battery is fine

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    On the top of the camera body, right of the shutter release button & wind lever, there's an "A", "L", and "S" etched on the camera (the "L" is painted red). Is the lever set to the "L"? That's the shutter release lock. If it's in "L" then the shutter wont fire. Move the lever back to "A" for normal shooting ("S" is self-timer mode.)

If the small battery inside the door on the front of the camera body is dead then it will NOT fire. Are you _sure_ the battery is working? Do you have a voltmeter to test it or another battery to try? It wouldn't be the first time in my life I came across a brand new battery from the store, still years away from it's "freshness" date, only to discover the "new" battery was, in fact, dead.

Tim Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by TCampbell View Post
    On the top of the camera body, right of the shutter release button & wind lever, there's an "A", "L", and "S" etched on the camera (the "L" is painted red). Is the lever set to the "L"? That's the shutter release lock. If it's in "L" then the shutter wont fire. Move the lever back to "A" for normal shooting ("S" is self-timer mode.)

If the small battery inside the door on the front of the camera body is dead then it will NOT fire. Are you _sure_ the battery is working? Do you have a voltmeter to test it or another battery to try? It wouldn't be the first time in my life I came across a brand new battery from the store, still years away from it's "freshness" date, only to discover the "new" battery was, in fact, dead.
    the lever was set to a, and the battery was fine. it turned out it was something with the aperture ring. i turned it, the the shutter fired. not really sure what happened, but its working now, and i havent had any more problems

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Odd - I can't reproduce the problem (even trying to set the aperture ring to a non-setting such as halfway between f/22 and the 'A' setting (a=auto aperture.)

The shutter isn't part of the lens... it's just in front of the film plane in the body of the camera. You should be able to fire just fine even with no lens mounted on the camera. I half wonder if perhaps the lens wasn't fully engaged on the body. Earlier AE-1 lenses used a breach mount ring (push the lens on, then twist the ring to lock it. Later AE-1 lenses used a bayonet mount (as do all lenses even on the EOS digital cameras today) where you mount the lens and then twist the entire lens (not just the lock ring) until it clicks. Canon FD series lenses came in both mount types (and they are interchangeable... no change to camera body was needed to change how it mounts.)

Anyway... glad it's solved!
    Tim Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by TCampbell View Post
    Odd - I can't reproduce the problem (even trying to set the aperture ring to a non-setting such as halfway between f/22 and the 'A' setting (a=auto aperture.)

The shutter isn't part of the lens... it's just in front of the film plane in the body of the camera. You should be able to fire just fine even with no lens mounted on the camera. I half wonder if perhaps the lens wasn't fully engaged on the body. Earlier AE-1 lenses used a breach mount ring (push the lens on, then twist the ring to lock it. Later AE-1 lenses used a bayonet mount (as do all lenses even on the EOS digital cameras today) where you mount the lens and then twist the entire lens (not just the lock ring) until it clicks. Canon FD series lenses came in both mount types (and they are interchangeable... no change to camera body was needed to change how it mounts.)

Anyway... glad it's solved!
    yeah im not sure what happened. the lens not being on all the way sounds most plausible. i was confused too haha. thanks for the advice!

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links