Medium format - is it good idea?

This is a discussion on Medium format - is it good idea? within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; Medium format - is it good idea? What about photo quality near digital cameras? Of course, with good film and good scan I have medium ...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Medium format - is it good idea? What about photo quality near digital cameras? Of course, with good film and good scan
    I have medium format camera, Moskwa-5. Is it good for landscapes and nature for long time?
    What about future of MF technology?

Equipment
    Canon, Cambro/Calumet
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I loved medium format when I was shooting film. I had a Mamiya RB67 and if I went back to film (HIGHLY unlikely) I would buy another. I don't know how the scan stands up to a straight digital but I would imagine very favorable in terms of quality. I still shoot 4x5 and can tell you the scans are excellent but very expensive. I would question the economics of scanning MF vs digital.
    Capture all the photons you want; the universe will make more.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Medium format is magic But what about future? I can buy film today, but can I buy it tomorrow?

Equipment
    Canon, Cambro/Calumet
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Sure. I mean the Kodachrome thing was overblown. If it's film, it's endangered. I'm sure it will be available for a while as there is still a lot of people using 120 and 220 film. However, as the numbers go down there will be less and less choice for higher and higher price. This is already very apparent in sheet films. I have a friend who has been shooting 4x5 digitally since 1996!

I'd say 10 years and the digital technology / prices will kill film for all intents and purposes.

Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Can you swap out the back on that camera for a digital back? If that's the case, go for it. Replace it with digital when you have the money or need for it.

To me, it is not whether I can purchase film, it is the economic viability of shooting film that comes into play. As was said, compared to digital, film is expensive (and will get more expensive). Especially when you consider that you can't see the results until after development and, unless it is still life, pretty much can't reproduce the scene to reshoot if you need to.

If you decide you can live with the cost, I still think it will get too expensive before they stop producing film, IMO, and you'll switch.

The other thing with film, to me, is that you go through a tremendous amount of effort handling film, developing film, waiting for film, printing images, scanning images- all to get to the point of producing a digital file. And that's where digital photography starts out, right out of the camera. Unless your goal is printed images, the vast majority of people are looking at images on computers these days. So, if that is the goal, why start out in an "analog" medium just to convert it to digital later? Go right for the conversion in-camera and be done with it. Of course, depending on your use for your images, your mileage may vary.

I don't miss shooting film. Not one bit.

Regards,
    Marlo

Check out my blog! --- http://marlomontanaro.wordpress.com

Equipment
    Canon, Cambro/Calumet
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinPhotoWorks View Post
    Amen and Amen

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinPhotoWorks View Post
    Amen and Amen
    Granted I only had a simple 35mm, but compare that to the power and instant gratification of digital? No thanks!
    I pack two things wherever I go: A gun and a camera. You probably don't want to end up in front of either one.

If you like me, like my facebook!

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links