Please Help!!

This is a discussion on Please Help!! within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; I just found this great looking camera and i wanted to see what kind of photos it takes but my shutter is stuck and the ...

Thread: Please Help!!

I just found this great looking camera and i wanted to see what kind of photos it takes but my shutter is stuck and the only way i can access it is behind a metal plate can anyone help me figure out how to take it off so i can fix this? or are there any other ways?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/sma...hy/b8c9c9ea.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/sma...25/66e5129a.jpg

PHOTO EDITING OK
    There is really no need to repair this camera. Brownie Flash models can be very easily found. If the shutter does cock, but fails to release, try pounding it against something - my intuition says to hit it on the lower side rather than on the bottom. Hit it with a good amount of force, but be aware the bakelite case is pretty brittle and might be prone to breaking. Put a cloth down to provide some protection.

You could also try using a probe of some kind to gently force the shutter to unstick, I'd start with the lever thingie in the first pic. If you're lucky you can get it unstuck, and then by repeatedly firing the shutter they'll sometimes loosen up for you. If you do get it to work, fire 100-500 times, back to back, without film.

To remove the black metal part, you can take hand file the rivets down. A dremel-like tool works well, too. However, you may need to replace it if this serves as a baffle, i'm guessing its not and that its just there to keep little johnny from sticking insects into the gears.

From there, it depends on what the problem is. It could just need be cleaned with a solvent like acetone (which might eat the plastic) or isopropyl and lubricated with graphite, or a spring need be reset, or something more serious like a stripped gear or broken or worn spring. This shutter is going to be really simple no matter what.

Do you know what kind of film this takes? I am guessing that it is either 620 or that weird 35mm roll film format that predated modern 35mm carts. Either will be hard to find. I have heard that you can respool 120 film onto a 620 spool, and some 620 cameras can take a 120 spool. I cannot imagine what 620 camera would be worth respooling.

You can tell if it is a 620 camera if the spool that it came with is metal. If it is plastic, it takes or can take 120 film.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Maybe you should first try spraying in a bit of WD-40. A simple Google search yields info: http://www.google.com/webhp#hl=en&sour...0fa4b5da4f245a4

PHOTO EDITING OK
    lol. banging it on the side and then taking it apart, soaking it in solvents and inevitably irreparably destroying it, before doing the obvious thing that will likely solve the problem? welllll, i see absolutely no merit it marionette's advice..
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

I actually got it working turns out there was a tiny metallic thing stuck in the winder once i got that out everything else started working just fine

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links