inherited Minolta SRT 102?

This is a discussion on inherited Minolta SRT 102? within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; Hi! My mom found a Minolta SRT 102 35mm camera in the back of her closet, and I'm interested in learning how to use it! ...

Hi! My mom found a Minolta SRT 102 35mm camera in the back of her closet, and I'm interested in learning how to use it! (I'm a teenager and a complete newbie, I'm doing research, haha)
    I was wondering if this is considered a good camera? What type of film would you recommend? Any good books or resources you'd recommend to help me learn a bit more in depth about film photography/using the Minolta? thanks!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    It appears that this is one of many early 1970's SLRs which were emerging on the market. At the time this camera had many ergonomic advantages and featured a bayonet mount. A camera like this is an excellent way to learn photography since it's operation is very manual and the metering is basic. Comparing this era of camera to a modern film camera is like comparing apples with oranges. For what it is, it's a good camera that will run forever with lenses which will vary from fairly good to superb depending on what you put on it - all of which will be pretty inexpensive on ebay. The camera itself, by today's standards, is mostly just a "box to keep light out". However, you will also find that it has a huge, bright viewfinder by comparison with today's moderately priced film and dslrs.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I had one and loved it. The Minolta body was far superior to the Nikon FM10 film camera that I am using now.

You will have a little trouble finding a battery for the light meter. They don't make them anymore.

But a good camera store can get you a substitute battery that will work.

Compared to the horrible view finders on todays digital cameras you will really like the Minolta's view finder.
    You won't have auto focus. But with that view finder you won't need it.

it's a good camera if it works....on many old cameras the shutter starts sticking....as far as image quality, that is up to the lens.. then there is the cost of film and processing....you may just want to sell it and put the $ up for a digital camera
    say cheeseburger!!!

MICROSOFT DIGITAL IMAGE PRO 9

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links