(newbie) is this a good deal?

This is a discussion on (newbie) is this a good deal? within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; Hii. I'm a newbie. In film photography and this forum. So first of all, hiii. So here is my problem. I want to take a ...

Hii. I'm a newbie. In film photography and this forum. So first of all, hiii.

So here is my problem. I want to take a photography class next semester but I don't have a 35mm slr camera. I can't really afford anything expensive so I was looking on craigslist and ran across this.

http://houston.craigslist.org/pho/1753060569.html

I was wondering if this was a good deal or not. I don't really know much about film cameras yet. I forgot everything I learned in 8th grade. Haha. It was 8 years ago.

Thanks in advance.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    it's good starting kit indeed.
    can't go wrong for only 50 bucks...

Quote Originally Posted by algalkin View Post
    it's good starting kit indeed.
    can't go wrong for only 50 bucks...
    Thanks. That's what I was thinking.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    All old film cameras will now be in the zone for needing new light seals.

more info here,

http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/lig...eals/index.html
    Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words "I have a cunning plan" marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?

Edmund Blackadder

cool. That looks simple enough that I could do it.

does anybody have any good info on this camera?
    I can't seem to find any on the net.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    RE light seals: I don;t know about that. My first cameras were both from the mid 1970's and used them in the late 1990's. My Yashicamat was just fine.

Some cameras are more leaky than others, the Mamiya Press comes to mind, but I think most 35mm SLR's would be OK, for one the way that the film moves through the camera isn't prone to exposure. Just get some electrical tape if you have problems.

As for the camera, I am not sure what you'd want to know. It's a mid 70's to mid 1980's body, likely has a basic needle meter with center weighted sensitivity. It will likely have a bright, large viewfinder as it does not have AF or complicated metering. Ricoh optics have a bit of a cult following, some lenses are highly sought after and all will be at least moderately good performers. I am not sure what kind of bayonet or thread the lens attachment would be. I want to say it would be M42. With a camera like this, it's more just a box to keep light out of...
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links